Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to take field pictures for dummies

How to take field pictures for dummies

How about a thread on how to take proper, tasteful, field pictures? I love checking out the pics from everyone on this sight but lately it's getting a little crazy. We don't need to be giving the antis anymore ammo than they already have. I think we as hunters need to be careful in how we portray ourselves, especially on the World Wide Web. How does a picture of couple of dudes waiving around a yearling bucks severed head in a nice sub division make us all look. So lets teach the guys who are new to the sport how to take better pictures.
    I'll start.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...area=bgRecords

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to take field pictures for dummies

Your spot on, keep that kind of stuff to yourself, or better yet dont even take silly pics like that.

This should be stickied because all these young hunters coming up wont know what to do once they shoot an animal unless they can take "tasteful" photos to appease the masses.......
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

I take great pride in field photos and always give my friends a hard time with the bush league photos.

I always leave the weapon out of the pic. No one needs to see your rifle !!!!!!!!!! If its a bow kill dont put it in front of the animal and dont put your bow in the antlers it looks bad !!! Clean the blood off, stick the tongue back in, tuck the legs under the animal.

Just look at guide oufitter web sites for good pictures. As a guide the outfitters I work for have awarded the best pic of the year taken by a guide as they use those phots to sell hunts.

This is one of those things that is not stressed enough. I have a wall in my shop with hunting pictures and only 30% of them are classy.

Proguide66 had alot of good tips last fall when we hunted together. He said never sit directly behind the rack and try not to cover it up with your hands. Got many excellent shots, here's two favorites

A rifle or bow in the pic isn't bad IMO, but I dont like it stuck in the antlers. I like guns!

try to keep your eyes open

Last edited by todbartell; 10-28-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I like to take pictures that everyone can look at. I spend lots and lots of time hunting, so when I do get a animal down I like to be able to display the photo's in good taste. In most of my pics we clean the animal up as good as possible, the hunter takes a few minutes to look as presentable as possible then I take 10 or 20, some times more photo's until I think I've got a few keepers! The photo's will be around for ever, it's nice to be able to go through them with different people and no one finds them offensive! Some people simply don't care what the pictures turn out like. I have a buddy that sends me pics every year of moose, huge bucks, wolves, cats etc, and most I find offensive! A pic of a giant white tail hanging in a garage where they gutted it, horns covered in guts and blood seriously take away from the fact it's a monster buck! Some people don't care about pictures, they remember the hunt, keep the horns and thats enough. I take pride in most of my pic's, specialty when it's a hunt that I've helped on with my kids and grandkids! Every time there up here to hunt the first thing they like too do is go through all the hunting pics on my computer! Each to there own, I find if you spend a few minutes after the kill, move the animal to a clean spot, wipe it down a little and take lots of tasteful photo's it's some thing you'll never regret!!! Take note of the pictures that most Sheep hunters or Goat hunters bring back after a successful hunt, great background, the animal is positioned as good as possible, it's cleaned up a bit and the pics look great! After putting that much effort into the hunt, why not spend a few minutes and take some pictures that you can be proud of!

Those are great pictures TB. Something I really need to work on mine are far to rushed, not paying enough attention to the surrounding area and or done with substandard cameras (disposals). Though new Camera on list for Christmas

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

Those are good pics TB..the rifle in pic 2 takes nothing away from it been a good photo imo .

this is what not to do

get your thumb out of the way!

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004