Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Class Blacktail Huntin 2010

Book Class Blacktail Huntin 2010

OK ,this is going to be one TOUGH hunt to video document on my own...especially considering I havent shot a b tail farther than 30 yrds in 6 yrs .
    Here's how the helpfull hints shall start...I dug up as many old licenses as I could find to record exactly when I shot some bucks.All the deer harvested but three had over 125 " of bone to 151". the other three 117 and 118...
    so , I remember the weather of each kill so here's the dates and eleveations , weather...this 'may' help the guys lookin to nail a BIG mature coasty !!
    2003 , Nov 18 , lots of snow , 4000ft , rattled in,alone, loads of sign , sunny , snowed all night,real stinky , bulging neck.
    2004 Oct 15 , little stinky 5300 ft , frost , clear , no snow , first hr light timber line..( 117")

2005 Oct 15 , valley floor of upper Pemberton meadows , ( 1000ft?)
    chronic rain for 5 days , bow shot , big neck,little stinky ( 140's ") first 15 minutes seeing light.
    2005 Nov 17 2500ft , clear , frost fat 4X3 chasing a doe in rain , open 5 yr slash , 11am,reaked

2006 , nov 9 ,4500 ft, clear cold , maybe -5 , no snow two bucks head to head 830 am 118" stinky, first half hr light.
    2006 ,5000ft , 18" snow , out of control rutting..rattled in , 141" reaked
    ..first 15 minutes seeing light well in timber.
    2007,Nov 10 , no snow,kinda mild , stormed all night , still pissing in the am..sunny spots by 10 am...shot on open moss rocks/big timber5000ft..rattling , 151" deer alone...monster neck , kinda stinky,WAYY OFF ROAD.
    Nov 30 , 2 ft snow , 4000 ft , stinky,hangin with 4 does , thick timber , first 1/2 hr seeing light.
    2008, Nov 13 , mild , clear night , rubs everywhere..chasing does at 4500ft , 126"..kinda stinky..fat neck but not BULGING...two more bucks came in while butchering...first hr light..

Nov 27 , 4500 ft , razor back , reaked , rutting self to death , first hr light , heavy timber , called in..125"..lots of snow.

2009 ,

nov 15, literally puking snow , thigh deep , 4500 ft and climbing..full blown neck , reaked , with 1 doe..first 1.5 hrs seeing light in am.

Nov 24 , melting snow , kinda chilly , first 2 hrs seeing light , deep timber , 4000 ft ,melting..big neck, real stinky , with 1 doe and 5 point.

I'm STRUGGLING to not go hunting but am going to give a go making a few salt licks this weekend so I can MAYBE save myself a few lbs this fall looking for does !!...i'm also going to go out this wekend and do a BIG hike up with my bow and see if I might get lucky...weather been real shitty , snow level is dropping...'kinda' know where a VERRY large buck is...will try to video something and as well am getting trail cams out !!

One thing to note so far at nailing a BIG btail is that the majority is shot in the first hr seeing light and wayy back from any road in big mature timber....also , was VERY familiar with my spots pre - kill..wich is obviously key to getting in there in the dark. as well , PRE knowing the direction of the thermals and what time they change is a big help.
    Next shall be some video of a days gear ect and maybe what a 'rut hole' looks like with ages of rubs ect....so..here comes some free education boys !!....and MAYBE a monster buck getting harvested on camera...just maybe...oh , and here is who we hope to see verry soon..

ps..the date wasnt set on the cams..it was last yr late nov.
    Last edited by proguide66; 10-26-2010 at 03:56 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Book Class Blacktail Huntin 2010

Wow. I hope you get that one. Nice big rack. Good luck.

GOOD LUCK!!!! Look forward to following this. Have never had the chance to chace these critters. One day soon hopefully.

Cheers
    BH

That's a good idea,keeping a journal.Hunted with an old timer years back who wrote in his journal for years about who,what & when it was harvested.It would have made for good reading as will yours.Maybe all the rest of us BT hunters can share a little more the details as to the harvest this season. Good luck
    Count your age by friends...not years. Count your life by smiles...and not tears.

good luck Steve I will be keeping close eye on this thread
    Last edited by todbartell; 10-26-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

half muley!!

Port Alberni in Hunting season, Bamfield in fishing season.

Submitted for your approval. I am an excalent camera man, and I only require a few twinkies and a double double before each mornig hunt.
    Upon the days return each day, I only require 2 cold BOTTLED lucky and another twinkie, and a floor to sleep on to prepare for the next days hunt. I hardley ever sneaze in the bush, and almost have my IBS and gas issues under controll. I think I would be a great asset to your crew this year.. Congeanialy yours Prowler.....
    God invented Whitetails for people who cant hunt Blacktails.

Hey Steve, what a great thread idea! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
    Submitted for your approval. I am an excalent camera man, and I only require a few twinkies and a double double before each mornig hunt.
    Upon the days return each day, I only require 2 cold BOTTLED lucky and another twinkie, and a floor to sleep on to prepare for the next days hunt. I hardley ever sneaze in the bush, and almost have my IBS and gas issues under controll. I think I would be a great asset to your crew this year.. Congeanialy yours Prowler.....
    hahaha.. , Ian I only expect ALL your GPS #'s for this spring summer within 50 mile radius of Beale ,

Port Alberni in Hunting season, Bamfield in fishing season.

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    hahaha.. , Ian I only expect ALL your GPS #'s for this spring summer within 50 mile radius of Beale ,
    Tell you what Steve, I will trade you all my #s for all your #s and you can forget the twinkies.... I will bring the bottled Luckies...
    God invented Whitetails for people who cant hunt Blacktails.