Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canning Deer

Re: Canning Deer

have not added water to the jars,,just a quick flash fry and in it goes, quart jars are fine, i use them. I have added a beef bouillon cube or a tsp of beef broth powder.

I have had it before from friends. It actually had like a gravy in it. Never asked them how they did it but would sure like to know. It was damn good stuff. Does everyones turn out like a meat and gravy type or is it just meat?

I did mine in quart jars. All recipes call for a 1" headspace,... yeah right, that'd be only 1/2 full. I did add the juice released when browning, and a bit of water to the top of the meat.

I opened a can today. Mmmm...

The juice in the jar was thin, but I mixed it into my sandwich spread.

I wonder how you'd get a thicker gravy.

Smile Re: Canning Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    have not added water to the jars,,just a quick flash fry and in it goes, quart jars are fine, i use them. I have added a beef bouillon cube or a tsp of beef broth powder.
    Ddog : thank you for the info. First time for me at cannig meat so I want to get it right the first time. Any more tips out there keep them coming

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Moose72 View Post
    I have had it before from friends. It actually had like a gravy in it. Never asked them how they did it but would sure like to know. It was damn good stuff. Does everyones turn out like a meat and gravy type or is it just meat?
    I typically add stock, onions and garlic cloves to the jars. You can thicken the stock into a gravy before serving...mmmmmmm!!!

Smile Re: Canning Deer

Quote Originally Posted by 4ptbuck View Post
    I did mine in quart jars. All recipes call for a 1" headspace,... yeah right, that'd be only 1/2 full. I did add the juice released when browning, and a bit of water to the top of the meat.

I opened a can today. Mmmm...

The juice in the jar was thin, but I mixed it into my sandwich spread.

I wonder how you'd get a thicker gravy.
    4pt : Good question ,someone will know I am sure.

My mouth is drolling cant wait to try this out.

Coat the meat with flour pre browning and it should help to thicken the liquid. I've never had time to make jarred venison, but this year I do and I think I will go get a pressure cooker!!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Now if i could only find a venison to put in a jar. Pretty bland without it.

I've also seared the meat on the BBQ with a smoke pack to give it some smokey flavour with great results.

Another thing I like to do is pack the meat in a homemade BBQ sauce. Dump a jar in a pan & break up the meat with 2 forks. You end up with "pulled venison" very simmilar to pulled pork. Slap it on a nice fresh bun and you've got a quick tasty meal!

Here is my recipe that I may start with :

Cut meat into 1" cubes (pre coat with flour-thanks Gatehouse.) brown in hot pan with salt pepper garlic powder and butter. high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
    Use quart jars : fill jars with 1/3 meat
    2/3 potatoes-onions-carrots-1 clove garlic couple drops liqiud smoke pinch of basil teaspoon of broth powder.

Process in pressure canner.

What do you think Guys and Gals?