Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canning Deer

Re: Canning Deer

raw with a pinch of salt boil for four hours if you dont have a pressure cooker
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    That will not safe guard you or anyone else against botulism, if present, pressurized steam is required to penetrate the endospore and kill the dormant bacteria.

my aunt cans all wild game the same way, cut into cubes, put in jars raw, add a teaspoon of fat, i prefer bacon, add whatever spices you like, then pressure cook per directions of canner. or use a water bath canner for four hours. she also does the same thing with meat balls, small steaks, stew, but does not cook any of it first. very very good, and can use it after in many different kinds of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post

Midnight run is right. With out a pressure canner you're playing Russian roulette. You might eat a thousand jars without issue but botulism is a nasty thing and has been responsible for countless deaths. Just boiling will kill the live botulism but the spores require 10psi at sea level (more, up to 15psi, at higher levels) to kill them. This is true for all low acid foods.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

ive never done it but ive tried it! worked in ft mcmurray one year and theres a lot of newfies there. they all get moose back on the rock and they like to can it. they call it "bottled". i have to tell you it is absolutely excellent. i forgot all this until now...but im wondering why i dont try it at home. please please use a pressure canner for anything like this....you wouldnt do salmon without a pressure canner right? cheers.

all over that...
    i pressure canned

guess i have not reached a thousand yet.water bath for four hours with as little head space in the bottle as possible has worked for hundreds of years .maybe its different for using bottles(mason jars) instead of cans.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Besides the safety, pressure canning is faster, and the meat seems to be more tasty or tender, but maybe I'm prejudiced. My recipes call for browning the meat a bit, spicing will soak into the meat better, and you add all the juice and meat to your jars.

Question? can you use Quart Jars ? Or do you use pint jars?

Quote Originally Posted by LYKTOHUNT View Post
    I used to can venison. We just browned the cubes of meat salt and pepper throw it in the jar with garlic ,carrots, potatoes and use standard canning methods. Made a meal all in one container (stew ) or you could spread it out on bread for a real good sandwich.

Do you add water to jar or liquid ?
    Can you use Quart Jars?
    Thank You