Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canning Deer

Canning Deer

Does anybody do it?

Got any good recipes?

I am thinking instead of making burger to can up a batch instead.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canning Deer

I had an older friend that used to can the tough shank meat after smoking it a bit. best thing you ever ate on a cracker..
    "You Fat Man, Speak Up"

I used to can venison. We just browned the cubes of meat salt and pepper throw it in the jar with garlic ,carrots, potatoes and use standard canning methods. Made a meal all in one container (stew ) or you could spread it out on bread for a real good sandwich.

Jar'd meat .......hmmmmmmmm.....good! Especially wild meats.

You will need to process using a pressure canner, no ifs and/or buts.

All American is a good one, do not get one smaller than the 921. Follow the instructions explicitly and be meticuous in preparation.

There are a ton of recipies on the 'net.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

We'd cut the meat in 2 inch cubes, season the heck out of it, salt pepper garlic a bit of HP or what ever you normally use to spice up you steak. Brown the meat real good in a hot fry pan, we use butter with it, then follow the directions for canning meat at your elevation. You can add a drop or 2 of liquid smoke, add's a excellent flavor! Adding vegetables sounds like a good idea, hell, now I want to go take out some packs of deer meat and try it too!!! Make sure you follow the canning directions to a tee, everything clean and sterilized etc, you can go on line and there's lots of different sites to guide you through. I went on the Presto site, it's the make of our canner and there was some great tips. Good Luck!

cool
    I've already have a pressure canner, and have done up lots of salmon.

I was debating whether to go simple like salmon, raw pack with a pinch of salt,... or do i need to brown it, salt/pepper, garlic etc first.

Here is a whole pile of recipes that I found
    recipes
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    When you are up to your ears in SH$T, best not to open your mouth

i do it!! its simply the best.
    i just brown the meat on high heat with my favorite spices, garlic, onion, ans some basil. just a quick flash fry and i mean like maybe 2 minutes at the very most. then pack in the jars with a clove of garlic cut into 2 and some raw onions and into the pressure canner it goes and when done it lasts for a real long time.
    i do it this way cause then the canned meat can be used as a topping over rice or noodles or then you can simply make a stew and put this meat in last.
    the best !!

I can deer.

cut into 1 1/2 9n cubes stuff into jar 1 in head space put on lid and 90 min's in pressure cooker at 10 lbs.

Done
    When the sh*t hit's the fan ... You need a Redneck Man ......

i did a batch, 28 salmon jars.
    I cubed, browned, and salt an peppered. Add the juice and water to the jars.

I know all the recipes say 1" headspace, but when dealing with a 3" jar, that's a 1/3. I left closer to 1/2" or less.

All jars sealed, and now I am just need an excuse to pop one open.