Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Canning Deer

Re: Canning Deer

Quote Originally Posted by open-sights View Post
    golly what an awesome thread, this got me fired up, I am going tomorow to buy a new pressure cooker, I have an old one with the twist on top that was Grammas which is great to make stews and sauce but sadly there is no gauge on it. Would love to see a few pics of what the cans look like whenb sealed up out of the cooker if anyone has any, Thanks again.
    Well it's not canned deer but the same principle. I make up a stew with ducks and geese. Sometimes I take the meat off the birds and boil the bodies for stock , add cubbed chunks of raw meat, raw veggies, pinch of salt and spice to a jar, cover with stock and in the pressure cooker.

Here is a picture of the end result.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottledfricot.jpg  
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

hey thanks Marc, just finished up a batch of venison, I cant wait to try it.
    "We solemly promise never to let down on quality, the customer is entitled to a square deal!"
    Markus 'Fred' Leupold

I've bottled deer, goose, ducks and even bear meat. They all came out great. I cheated a bit last year and used some canned french onion soup and pored some of it with the meat before hitting the pressure cooker. Turned out great.

I'm actually finishing up butchering an after quarter of beef tonight and I think I'm going to bottle up some beef chunks in case the big one hits or backup for hunting.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

ok I am turning into my Grandma, just finished batches of venison + wild mushroom, goat stew, bison chuncks with some veg and even did ducks mixed with leftover blue grouse w/orange slices, shot in the dark how that turns out. Thanks for the inspiration again all.
    "We solemly promise never to let down on quality, the customer is entitled to a square deal!"
    Markus 'Fred' Leupold

Quote Originally Posted by open-sights View Post
    ok I am turning into my Grandma, just finished batches of venison + wild mushroom, goat stew, bison chuncks with some veg and even did ducks mixed with leftover blue grouse w/orange slices, shot in the dark how that turns out. Thanks for the inspiration again all.
    Use caution when canning some wild mushrooms. People have died from eating canned Morels. Morels contain a deadly poison that is dissipated off after a couple of minutes of cooking rendering them safe and delicious but when they are canned the poison can be trapped in the jar. Some people cook them before canning them but I elected to play it safe and not bother. I dry my Morels and then reconstitute them in a little beer and the juice from the canned venison before adding them to my Venison Stroganoff with egg noodles.

My parents canned wild meat when I was a kid and I have just started canning over the last couple of years. Canned meat takes up zero freezer space and lasts for years and years.
    We can burger, chunks, and also with veggies in a "stew ready" fashion. You can brown the meat or do the raw method.....try them both. Some folks even leave their canned meat jars in remote cabins until their next return, but I would be leary of freezing conditions breaking the jars seals.
    Like the others have posted, a pressure canner is the only safe way and the internet has tons of recipes, including you-tube.
    B.C. craft beer....it's why I come home