Thread: Farm Hunt

Farm Hunt

Kona and I got up early this morning for a special treat: hunting on a private farm! We arrived and made the trek across the field to where the geese like to congregate. Kona had never seen cows before, let alone in the dark, so it was interesting trying to keep her quiet, but she's a good girl and controlled herself very well.

I bought six new goose decoys at Cdn Tire last night after deciding to try a few more geese before giving up on them entirely, as last season I had two really horrible geese, they made the kitchen smell like swamp during roasting! But people keep telling me that I just had some domestics, that I will get into some of the migratory and I don't want to miss out on roast and smoked goose, so OK I'm trying again. Set out the dekes in the field and a few mallards in the marshy area and hunkered down. BTW 1/2 price dekes @ Cdn Tire.

Well, long story short Kona brought five ducks in for me. But not before I screwed up our only goose opportunity!!! I had decided to grab a bag of dekes and head to a different marsh area where I saw LOTS of ducks landing. Of course, half-way between cover I see a flock of around a dozen geese on the horizon. High-tailed back to the 'blind', tried calling them and got them to circle twice but we were SO obvious so they split without offering a shot...I had to apologize to Kona! We headed over to the marsh and threw a half-dozen dekes in and sought cover, got them coming in a bit. Very nice hunt, I've found a few sweet spots I couldn't access last year, as the water level is much lower than when I first hunted the farm later in the season. This should be a very productive season!
    Whatever...I'm going hunting

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Farm Hunt

Good day out there even if you didn't connect on the geese, the ducks can be just as fun as, if not more then, shooting the big birds. Plus ducks are a he'll of a lot easier to pluck.

Any pictures of the dog?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Hey Marc,

Yeah I prefer duck hunting, but it is certainly a thrill when the geese start appearing on the horizon!

I keep trying to post a pic of Kona, it's an 82.9 KB jpeg. I keep receiving a message that it 'exceeds your quota by 18.9 KB.'

When I click 'click here to view attachments' it tells me I have no attachments.

Actually it's the local geese you want to target!!!
    Way better eating than the Migratory honkers!!!
    Cheers, Field Marshal.

Really? Well, that demonstrates my level of goose experience!

Good luck chasing the geese, I'll be trying to connect with one up in FSJ.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.