Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a new smoker

Re: Bought a new smoker

I had the outlaws over last night for dinner and decided to try smoked pork chops and souvlaki. I wanted to try the new smoker as kind of a smoker/grill and see how the chops would turn out on high heat.

I brined the chops with a mixture of water, brown sugar, sea salt, garlic powder, for an hour. Then sprinkled with a homemade brown sugar, salt, and spices rub called Memphis rub that I got from the net, put some soaked hickory chips in the smoke box and cranked it up to 350 degrees for about an hour and a half. The inside of the chops were juicy and very tender and the outside was nicely smoked and a little carmalized.

The souvalaki, or satay as my wife calls it, was just sprinkled with the Memphis rub mixture and taken out as appetizers when they looked done. It went well with potato salad and a couple of beers and I was pleased with the results. Even my brother-in-law, who is a chef, thought the results were very good.

If I get lucky and get a bear I'm going to slow smoke a fresh ham and see how it turns out. John
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

smoked bear hams are the biggest threat to any bear you see in the future-try it and the next bear is in serious trouble

A new smoker is high on my list once we get settled in BC. I sold my little chief in our yard sale recently that I've had for almost 20 years.

The last post remined me of the buckboard bacon I made last fall using the cure from High Mountain Jerky (http://himtnjerky.com/), I thought it might work well for a bear ham, which is one of my favorites, but I've only had it commercially made. The jerky stuff from Hight Mtn is good and too easy, a friend in the NWT put me on to it, the pepper one is top of the list!

Very best,

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Geo.338
    Everybody seems to like the bradley but they are pricey and i'm with you on the biscuit thing.Thinking that there must be a better way I built one out of an old curbside mailbox with a hot plate .Works great.Gotta love those smoked ribs !
    The biscuits are exactly what puts me off on that smoker. Clever busyness move on the part of Bradley, if you use their smoker all you can use are the bisquits they offer. Their smokers are so good that once you purchased one it will last a lifetime so bradley has to make money on the bisquits.

Personally I prefer home made smokers made of wood, bricks or even an old oil drum, because I like to make my own smoke mixtures for various different meats.

Building a smoker is very easy and cheap to boost.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"