Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new smoker

Bought a new smoker

I bought a propane 36" Great Outdoors "Smokey Mountain Smoker" yesterday.

My old homemade plywood smoker was looking a little rough so I started checking for good smokers on the internet. Didn't want a Bradley cause I didn't want to be tied into their "you have to buy our biscuits" system. I saw a few favourable reviews about the propane "smokey mountain smokers". Started looking around and found one for sale locally at about half the price of a Bradley with more interior space.

I put two chickens and about 5lbs. of ribs into the smoker at 11:00am and took them out at 4:00pm. They were tender and very tasty. I took the ribs to my friends lamb BBQ party and we had a great time eating roasted lamb, deep fried turkey, and my smoked ribs. I'm gonna try and smoke a ham next weekend. And if I can only scrounge some salmon off my buddy for the smoker I'll be in hog heaven. John
    Last edited by johnes50; 05-14-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bought a new smoker

Everybody seems to like the bradley but they are pricey and i'm with you on the biscuit thing.Thinking that there must be a better way I built one out of an old curbside mailbox with a hot plate .Works great.Gotta love those smoked ribs !

Quote Originally Posted by Geo.338
    Everybody seems to like the bradley but they are pricey and i'm with you on the biscuit thing.Thinking that there must be a better way I built one out of an old curbside mailbox with a hot plate .Works great.Gotta love those smoked ribs !
    A fellow around here was selling those old mailboxes a few years ago as smokers. They looked liked they'd work good with lots of shelf space. I didn't buy one cause his were a little pricey. I made one out of plywood and a hot plate and it did the job for years. I even rigged up a couple of dryer thermostats to cut out at different temperatures so it was semi-automatic. But it's always nice to have a shiney new toy. "Yesssss Dad, your smoker is really nice."

I'm not knocking the Bradley's, my friend has one and they do a good job, I just didn't want to spend that much and I really didn't want to be stuck having to buying their biscuits.

Yea, It's nice to have company over and pull out a rack of home smoked ribs or a chicken. You've got friends for life after that. John
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Your making me drool!!
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

my god man, invite us already , im starving.

Funny, my coffin smoker was making me mad too. I gutted a fridge last week, just looking for hot plates now.

Archive, do you want electric or gas? I have an old built in gas stove top you can have if you can use it. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Thumbs up Re: Bought a new smoker

Mail sent.

And replied to! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Archive
    Funny, my coffin smoker was making me mad too. I gutted a fridge last week, just looking for hot plates now.
    take all the plastic out of the fridge!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless