Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Dog

Best Dog

What breed do you guys figure is the best for hunting, training and companionship? I was looking at getting a golden retreiver, apparently they're real smart. I've heard Labs, Huskys and Collies are good too. Any professional opinions?
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Dog

FlyingHigh, i have a golden retriever she is just a family pet but is very smart and very protective of the family you couldn't ask for a better companion.She was never trained to be a hunting dog but i see no reason why she couldnt do the job with the proper training.She also seems to hate crows and the mailman she doesn't like people or animals coming into her yard,last year she chased off a skunk 2 nights in a row and got sprayed twice for her effort, man did she stink.

I've got a pure bred black lab, I thought about a retriever but their long fur really makes a mess. He loves to hunt, is really protective of me, my girlfriend and property. I picked a lab because they are calm at home but love to exercise and are one of the easiest dogs to train. They will do anything for a treat. My dogs grandpuppies are due may 24. Pm me if you're interested.
    I've hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted.

I have both a black lab and a golden retriever. Hands down, the best all around dog (hunting, family, etc) is the lab. His instincts for hunting birds is awesome and he is really mellow at home with the baby.
    The golden retriever is super protective of our place and her space. I have hunted with her a little bit, but I did not have her as a pup, so trying to train her now for hunting is not so easy. If given the choice, I would go with a lab of any colour.

These are my two dogs, very good dogs, the liver chases bears. they also love the water.These dogs are the best for what i use them for. opinions may very.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 05-14-2006 at 11:52 AM.

My 2cents, Labrador all the way. Get a good one from good hunting and field lines. Make sure they have all their clearances and put in lots of training time. Join a club or hook up with some experianced retriever people for training
    Blacktailaholic

I've got a black lab with 1/8 golden retriever. The mellowist dog you will ever meet (just dont step onto my boat at nite or her ugly side comes out). Have never trained her for hunting but she has helped find a bear but also slept beside me while deer hunting and snored enouff to get a does intrest so it came 4 ft away from us.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

Samoyed. Pack dog.Loves to cahse bears and cougars. I just bought my 2nd 1

I wouldn't trade either of my chocolate Labs for all the tea in China.You couldn't buy a friendship like we have!Cheers,Gunner

I'm a German Shepherd fan myself. Here's a pic of my yougin' and my old man after a hard day's play.

"...the truth will make you free." John 8:32