Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wild boar in BC?

wild boar in BC?

Though these things are considered a "nuisance" or "invasive" species in Alberta, I've read that they are starting to migrate over from Alberta into BC. These were not too credible looking sources though. Anyone over in the Kootenays see any of these bad boys roaming around? mmmm a freezer full of bacon and other pork stuffs... This sounds too good to be true.. is it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wild boar in BC?

Don't know if there still around but there used to be a bunch out on the north side of Harrison Lake. we hunted them probably over 25 yrs ago now, they were all over and not hard to find as they make a mess of the vegetation in the area they are in. They taste great but are drier and leaner then farm raised.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Harrison Lake eh? sounds more like that's coming up from US than over from Alberta. Of course that would be the (original) pattern of migration from which alberta received them. 25yrs ago though eh? do you know why the BC hunting/trapping synopsis doesn't even have them mentioned??

there are wild boars in the peace. it is a farm hunt tho, but lots of boars running around.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

I seem to remember the regs had a section on wild boar in BC way back,saying they were in the Frazer Valley and asking people to shoot them on sight.Whatever they were,they didn't survive though, which is surprizing-they are prolific breeders and the weather in BC isn't worse than where they were from in Germany and Russia.
    But I agree, if they are present-the evidence is pretty clear-all rooted up areas

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I seem to remember the regs had a section on wild boar in BC way back,saying they were in the Frazer Valley and asking people to shoot them on sight.Whatever they were,they didn't survive though, which is surprizing-they are prolific breeders and the weather in BC isn't worse than where they were from in Germany and Russia.
    But I agree, if they are present-the evidence is pretty clear-all rooted up areas

Wild boar ain't got nothing on Buffalo! you should see some of the old valleys around Marion lakes and what not. Used to have to trail ride through an actual tunnel of willow and buck brush now it is a clear cut of willow stumps and sink holes. You could see an honest 20-30 moose every trip with a pile of caribou and deer thrown in. Now a wasteland with the odd buffalo that hasn't made its way to the top of the sheep wintering grounds to have a dust bath. Open a GOS on them I say!
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    there are wild boars in the peace. it is a farm hunt tho, but lots of boars running around.

Bridger you talking about out in Goodlo? I hear it's a hit and miss with the farmer. Was thinking about taking the boy out, just waiting for a contact number. I you have one would you mind pming me

Thanks

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

FYI...I talked to the local CO about wild pigs.

I asked "if I see one can I shoot it" ?

His reply..."yes".

I have heard of them in BC. LML and Caribou.

I'd like some bacon...yummmmm !
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

sounds like a lot of fun hunting pigs
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

I heard that there were wild pigs up chilliwack lake some years ago.