Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Morning Goose Hunt...

Short Morning Goose Hunt...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

The 3 of us hit the fields again this morning for a short morning goose hunt. It was a chilly clear crisp morning in the valley, which turned to cloudy as the day progressed. Definately could have filled our 10 bird limit today (Only a 10 bird limit because Catharina is still a junior).

Saw many geese early on in the day, and lots were working the field but kept just outside gunning range unfortunately. It was fairly quiet from 8-9 am, then the action started. Within 30 minutes we shot 6 geese! And we even turned up some 25-30 yard shots, waiting for those up close and personal ones.

Then around 9:35, the RCMP and Fed's came and checked us out. Horrible timing as geese were still trying to pour in, but we had to "chat". Both the Fed's and RCMP were really friendly, and all went well. The Fed's were telling us how they will be in the cowichan valley looking to bust bad hunters for the rest of the season, and one of their plans are to dress up as hunters and go into public lands to interegate people that way. So in other words, play nice boys and girls.

We called it quits at 10 am as we were satisfied with our 6 geese. Even after leaving, the geese STILL kept working the field. But they are for another day...

Can't wait to get out there again!!

Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 10-11-2010 at 06:52 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Short Morning Goose Hunt...

Well you three are having a darn good start to the season, keep it up. As for the RCMP and the Feds telling you their planning on beefing up their patrols and cracking down on violators, great. I hope their heading over here to the lower mainland as well. But if they start interferring with hunts then I don't think their going to be too welcomed.

I just love goose hunting, done lots in alberta,castor area, they just keep coming, canadas, snow geese, and all kinds. I do miss alot

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    Well you three are having a darn good start to the season, keep it up. As for the RCMP and the Feds telling you their planning on beefing up their patrols and cracking down on violators, great. I hope their heading over here to the lower mainland as well. But if they start interferring with hunts then I don't think their going to be too welcomed.
    Well there isn't much we can do about that. I think its worth having them out and about, especially if they can catch the "littering" hunters. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin a lot, and we want the public to only see the positives of hunting, and be able to hold to the statement.. "Hunting is Conservation".

Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 10-11-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Like I said I hope their headed over here as well, it's just if they show up when the birds start moving some guys are bound to get upset. I personally would just bs with them there's always tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    Like I said I hope their headed over here as well, it's just if they show up when the birds start moving some guys are bound to get upset. I personally would just bs with them there's always tomorrow.
    Funny thing was is that the Fed's and RCMP and us were talkin' smack about the CO's about their lazy habits! The RCMP say it seems like the CO of the Duncan area doesn't check out many people and doesnt respond to complaints or calls and were saying how it seems like they are doing the CO's job for him!

How is the CO service on the mainland??

jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 10-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.

I've never been checked in the 13 year's I've lived here. I know some guys have been checked but not many. And I get out just about 70% of the weekends during the season.

Giovanni, don't start trash talking our CO for lack of enforcement!!!
    Their resources are stetched to the limit. Letters to your local MLA will be more useful than calling them out on a public forum. Lack of funding for enforcement is the culprit here . Make sure the incident observed by your group is reported as soon as possible as I outlined in my PM.
    Maybe more hunters will start using Dinsdale's after hearing of your familys success???
    Cheers, Field Marshal.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Giovanni, don't start trash talking our CO for lack of enforcement!!!

Field Marshal.
    We weren't, the RCMP were.. They were the ones complaining the CO hasn't been doing much. We haven't dealt with the CO much at all. So you could replace my name with the RCMP as in our chat in the field we were all ears.

The Dinsdale is a great place, it should be hunted. We plan to hunt it to help keep it alive. Last thing we want to hear is it gets closed because no one uses it.

Giovanni
    Last edited by longshot; 10-11-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Unfortunately the majority of the calls that are made are directed to the RCMP as most bird watchers / dog walkers don't know the CO's phone number. If shots are reported the RCMP are usually the first people called and on the scene.

If I'm not mistaken there were a few people who were approached by the new CO last fall on the Dinsdale property and the bay itself.

I know that if I was a CO and under staffed I'd be more concentrating about calls of deer or elk illegally hunted then someone legally shooting nuisance resident geese. I would also think they'd be more concerned about provincial matters since the province is who pays them not the Federal government.

I was actually quite surprised this morning when I went by the bay and there were two cruisers, both empty with one cruiser with it's lights flashing. I talked to the two constables when they got closer to the road and asked if someone placed a complaint call? They said that someone had reported that they were shooting to many birds and they came to check things out. They also mentioned that they hadn't realized it was legal there to hunt until they saw the sign showing the boundaries of the bay and legal hunting areas. I said well next time you get a complaint about shooting at the Dinsdale property they'll know that it's legal to hunt there and they wont have to go through all the trouble of walking out into the field.

I also saw people walking the dike while I was in the area and chances are these are the same people who called the RCMP because they didn't know any better. I'm wondering if we need to get more signs placed to educate the public.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF