Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I want to get into Bowhunting

Re: So I want to get into Bowhunting

Bow Walker and Sealevel, to start with a good second hand bow, a inexpensive pin sight and a dozen game tracker arrows are more than plentyful good. There are many guys who purchased top of the range equipment for 1000 and more dollars only to find out archery it is not for them.

I still shot a 10 year old bow, a BuckMasters with a 3 ,steel, pin sight and aluminum arrows. It's as good as any set up and never let me down. I lost count how many folks I itroduced to archery and I started them all off with something decent but very affordable and then as they gained experience and like it they purchased a new bow and still had a good back up bow. On the other hand I have trained guys with top notch everything and they lost interest and where stuck with a very expensieve bow. There are plenty of very good second hand bows out there as there are archers that trade in their bows for the newest model every two years to stay fashionable.

It's like Walkalot said practice and confidence in the equipment is more important than spending 1000's of dollars. Start simple and affordable that's my advice and I stick by it. Of course if someone has money to blow left right and center go ahead buy the very best of everything but it want make you a good archer or hunter.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 05-13-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

So does anybody know of any archery show near Richmond BC?
    Guess the location would gave helped .

I was thinking used to get into the sport. I've got a scoped 742 in 30/06 I was hoping to trade for a used package.

4ptbuck, try talking to the guys at boormans in new west on columbia st.
    they'll be able to tell you when pro-am archery has there next classes and also will most likely have some used compound bows in the store you can look at, if that is what you want to use.The classes pro-am offers for beginners are 5 nights 2 hour each , i believe they were around $95.00 and focused primarily on proper form.They provide the equipment so you wont have to have your own bow before going and they will have compound bows, recurves and a couple long bows.I learned alot at these classes and they were alot of fun.

4ptbuck, also take a look thru the thread "archery shops" in the target archery forum there are some good shops listed in there.

Get new equipment for sure. Archery is kind of like computers. New and flashy one year, and 1-2 years later it's obsolete. make sure you get a bow that feels good too. i'm uograding to a bowtech equalizer becasue my PSE Venom feels a bit heavy and large in my smaller hand. The guys on this forum for the most part know what they're talking about so heed their advice.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

4PT,

I have no idea how much a brand new compound riggin can cost ya. It's really a question of what you can afford, and what you want to do.

If you want to see if you like archery, great, if you want to consider hunting with a bow, great, welcome aboard.

If you can afford, top of the line etc. Go for it. If cash is an issue, there is no need to go nuts. Just be reasonable, and find happiness and contentment in that.

I have a bow that I picked up second hand in 1994. I have other bows, but it is the only bow I shoot and hunt with. We all get better with age.

Technology can force you into a tail spin, if you aren't shooting well, you're blaming the bow, when simplicity might allow you to just enjoy the effect of shooting a bow.

JT

I just started with a bow 3 years ago. I'm a firm beliver in do it once, do it right and everything is serving me well. My biggest help was doing tons of research and talking to lots of diff people and then just experimenting and learning most things on my own. It is better to "do' than to be "told." It's fun, good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by J_T
    4PT,

I have no idea how much a brand new compound riggin can cost ya. It's really a question of what you can afford, and what you want to do.

If you want to see if you like archery, great, if you want to consider hunting with a bow, great, welcome aboard.

If you can afford, top of the line etc. Go for it. If cash is an issue, there is no need to go nuts. Just be reasonable, and find happiness and contentment in that.

I have a bow that I picked up second hand in 1994. I have other bows, but it is the only bow I shoot and hunt with. We all get better with age.

Technology can force you into a tail spin, if you aren't shooting well, you're blaming the bow, when simplicity might allow you to just enjoy the effect of shooting a bow.

JT
    That's great advice. My kind of thinking.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

4pt call up Boorman Archery and sign up for the pro-am archery school. They will show you what you need to know and you call try the diffrent types of bows and then decide what works for you.

FullDraw
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA