Thread: 1970s Beretta...what shot???

1970s Beretta...what shot???

My hunting partner just gave me his OU 12 ga shotgun, he has lots of lead shot ammo, but I know you cannot use that for hunting ducks and geese anymore

What type of shot can safely be used in older shotguns with full choke and mod choke barrels??

thanks for any info you can provide.

CS

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1970s Beretta...what shot???

I would check with a competent gunsmith before I shot steel through that gun. It would be a crying shame to ruin a gun of that quality.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

The only other real option although it can get a little pricey is Heavi shot classic doubles or what ever it is called.

The older guns will also take Bismuth. The taxidermist that I used to hunt with had an old side-by side that he lover to use for a few hunts each year and that what was recommended to him.
    The one thing that I and others that I know have found is that the hi velocity of the modern waterfowl loads seems to have a lot of impact on the wood of these older guns, lots of cracks in the stocks etc.
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited

look into having the full choke barrel back bored to mod. or have chokes put in . i had my beretta back bored to mod. and am still shooting it to this day.beretta make a very high quality gun and in my opinion you can,t hurt em.....fowl

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    look into having the full choke barrel back bored to mod. or have chokes put in . i had my beretta back bored to mod. and am still shooting it to this day.beretta make a very high quality gun and in my opinion you can,t hurt em.....fowl

You shooting steel shot thru mod barrels???

Mod choke is fine for steel. That what I have in my browning and no problems.