Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get a food dehydrator?

Re: Where to get a food dehydrator?

Oh sorry, I got one as a belated wedding girft from my brothers in law/ it was awesome, I have used it lots! I made a batch of deer, elk, beef and they all got gobbled up immediatley everyone loved them inclding me. I find it labor intensive doing all the cutting its tough to find the right frozenness to cut at. I am thinking of trying to use an electric knife when it is almost fully frozen.

Next I am going to dry some fruit for my mother in law, she wants to try some dried bananas so i will see how it goes.

I love this thing, it makes great treats and snacks!

Rhys

London drugs carry dehydrators.

Rhys

The electric knife is the cats ass for cutting jerky meat you can buy them at wally world for cheap money your other choice is a meat slicer.

FullDraw
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA

Yeah the meat slicer was an idea I had too, but they seem to be pretty darn expensive and at the moment we live in a tiny basement suite and my wife is justifiably a little frustrated with all the junk I collect . I think the electric knife is the way to go.

Can it cut through fully frozen stuff?

Rhys

Okay, little tip. I had the same problem..... pick yourself up a jerky gun. Grind the meat into burger ...... mix in the spices..... load up the gun......then squeeze the strips out.......sooooo much easier and when it's done there is still enough holding it together you can rip chunks off. My kids like it this way better as well.

Jerky Guns Rule....but buy a big one not one with a little tube so you don't have to fill it up every minute.

Plus you can use scraps for all the jerky and save those nice pieces of meat for roasts and steaks.

Rhys If you get a good cut of meat you don't have to cut the meat half frozen with the electric knife, meat slicers are pricey you don't want to have to take a long out to make jerky! I have the jerky gun for hamburger but perfer the cut meat myself. I never tried cutting the half frozen meat with the electric knife never found i needed to. hope this helps.
    FullDraw
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA

Excellent advice guys I will try with the electric knife and see how that goes then move onto the jerky gun if not satisfied.

Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by FullDraw
    Rhys If you get a good cut of meat you don't have to cut the meat half frozen with the electric knife,
    This is true, but I have a hard time useing a good cut of meat for jerky......but thats probably the cheap scottish in me