Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: compound break in period...

Bow Walker Guest

Re: compound break in period...

Now that's the way it should be done. That guy is a keeper for sure.

I dont know if I can promote a non-sponsor on this site(mods, delete if needed) but, Misty River Outfitters in Terrace BC are great to deal with.
    I would recommend them to anyone.
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

most strings are settled in after about 200 shots. some in less, you will know when your peep quits turning.That is the time to do your final setup. Most stick shooters have a high anchor point as they were taught to bring their fingers to the corner of the mouth, sounds like you have lowered your anchor point or you'd be at the bottom of the pinguard. Could be something got moved without you knowing it, make sure your peep & nock are tied in properly and everything on the bow is tight. Usually if the string moved you can see it with an arrow nocked up, it'll show a level change, up or down, and on the cam orientation. Check your serving and make sure it's not moving on you, sometimes it can become loose when a strings stretches.

a couple thoughts on this

while your string may stretch a bit it will not be anywhere near enough to create a speed increase that will account for an 8" high hit, there are a bunch of other possibilities here though.

1. peep is moving on you - this could cause a sudden drastic change of point of impact. Also if it is moving slightly while you are sighting in it would account for goofy or changing pin gaps

2. seeing as you are new to compound shooting with a release aid, a shifting anchor point could easily be a culprit here as well. As you shoot this style more you may well find that you settle into an anchor point and the problem never surfaces again.

3. What type of rest are you using? I have seen this problem arise on drop-away rests on new bows when the drop-away is set to drop too soon, or does not get all the way up. as the cables stretch the pull cord ends up with more travel and can actuall cause the rest to come up further than it did originally. Again, this would only apply if the rest was not set up properly originally.

4. inconsistant grip - if you have not settled into a consistant grip on this new bow it could have noticeable effect on consistant point of impact. For myself there is a signifigant difference in POI between using a high wrist grip and using a low wrist grip.

Over all I would check out a couple of the mechanical items mentioned above and mark your peep location to be sure it is not moving, but more likely just keep shooting and paying special attention to being consistant in anchor, grip etc.

Good luck!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    a couple thoughts on this

while your string may stretch a bit it will not be anywhere near enough to create a speed increase that will account for an 8" high hit, there are a bunch of other possibilities here though.

1. peep is moving on you - this could cause a sudden drastic change of point of impact. Also if it is moving slightly while you are sighting in it would account for goofy or changing pin gaps

2. seeing as you are new to compound shooting with a release aid, a shifting anchor point could easily be a culprit here as well. As you shoot this style more you may well find that you settle into an anchor point and the problem never surfaces again.

3. What type of rest are you using? I have seen this problem arise on drop-away rests on new bows when the drop-away is set to drop too soon, or does not get all the way up. as the cables stretch the pull cord ends up with more travel and can actuall cause the rest to come up further than it did originally. Again, this would only apply if the rest was not set up properly originally.

4. inconsistant grip - if you have not settled into a consistant grip on this new bow it could have noticeable effect on consistant point of impact. For myself there is a signifigant difference in POI between using a high wrist grip and using a low wrist grip.

Over all I would check out a couple of the mechanical items mentioned above and mark your peep location to be sure it is not moving, but more likely just keep shooting and paying special attention to being consistant in anchor, grip etc.

Good luck!
    Chris
    Excellent points raised here by Chris. If the peep isn't secure and it moves from shot to shot - even just a little bit - your point of impact will be altered, sometimes drastically. Once the peep is aligned properly, serve it in so that it can't travel up or down.

Point number two is the cause of a lot of archer's problems in accuracy. The reason that it is called an "anchor point" is that it is supposed to be rock solid.

Get that knuckle of the index finger (on your release-hand) tuck in tight to the "hole" behind you jaw bone and just under your ear. Then don't move it. Keep it "anchored" there.

Once you've established a proper anchor then you can establish where the peep should be on the string. Come to a comfortable and repeatable full draw position - close your eyes as you settle into the anchor of full draw. Your shoulders should be relaxed, your body should be straight up and down and your feet should be "shoulder-width" apart.

Now, open your aiming eye. You should be looking right through the peep aperture and you should be able to see the glo-ring on the housing of your sight. All the pins should be visible inside the sight housing.

If not - adjust your peep up or down so that you don't have to move your head to see through it to your sight. Once this is down, serve-in the peep so that it is stable and will not move, then sight-in your pins for your yardage.

I know that this stuff is pretty basic but it's the little things that add up to a missed shot or a drastically different point of aim.

RE : a couple quick blasts on the call,???
    What are You using for a Call,???
    Thank,s.

Scorpion is now building a very good string. I would highly recomend scorpion. I have 2,000 shots on my one set and very little movement. I do shoot a lot and keep a close eye on ata, brace height, peep movement, cam timing ect, i prefer the scorpion much more the world greatest strings.

Check your timing as well.

Have you checked your, rest, nock point.. Sometimes if something stretches it can change your nock point relative to your rest. Resulting in large changes in elevation.

It was indeed the peep moving just slightly. The serving holding it place wasn't very tight, so I re-tide it and everything has been solid ever since. Thanx alot guys you were all very helpfull giving me a check-list of sorts to go though till I fonud the problem!

Elkhunter1 my deer call is a "Deer stopper".
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

Bow Walker Guest

Glad you were able to solve the mystery. It's the little things, ain't it?