Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding insulated hicking boots

Need help finding insulated hicking boots

I’m looking for a pair of good quality insulated/Gore-tex hiking boots for late season deer hunts. I want something with enough insulation (800gr thinsulate or other equivalent) that will keep my feet warm enough to stay out all day whether I’m walking or holed up some place glassing /waiting, but not too bulky so that I can cover fair bit of ground if I have to.
    I have a pair of Irish setters right now and they are fine for truck or quad hunting but they aren’t what I would call hiking boots. Do you guys have any recommendations?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need help finding insulated hicking boots

Danner boots are pretty awesome, can get lots of different ammounts of insulation in them. Grouse River carries them.

I have the irish setter elk hounds and I find those work well for a hiking boot...not heavy lots of ankle support and a great and repairable outsole, but only 200gr thinsulate....what is it that you are looking for in a hiking boot? I personally didn't like 800gr even in cold temps as it was too hot and my feet ended up sweating during the hike and then were wet for the sit. I would go lighter on the thinsulate and more on a whicking sock / wool sock or insulating sock combo so you can change socks due to wetness or change in conditions ( more or less sock for warmer or cooler conditions)...the most thinsulate I have is 600 gr and at -20 they are more than warm, but not sweaty hot.

I got a new pair of Danner canadians. there great. they have 600 grams of insulation. You might be able to find some with more though.

The pair that I have now has 400 grams and I find that my toes get very cold if I'm out in -15 or less all day, that's with good wool socks. My Irish setters are from 5 or 6 years ago and I find that they don't have much ankle support. The sole is way too soft too. Last year I stepped on on broken branch that was covered with now and a stub twig went through the sole, goretex liner and the insole but didn't puncture my sock!
    I have a pair of Red wing(same company as Irish Setters) steel toes and they are great, walked on many miles of uneven railroad ballast in crap conditions and they never leaked and no sprained ankles so maybe I just have a crap model.

Brew,

How is the traction on ice or snow with your boots? The soles seem to have a unusual pattern to them.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005236811102a.shtml

To tell ya truth I have only worn them in a dusting of snow. The tread pattern is actually almost identical to my sorell snow boots though. You can get them resoled also

270 that tread pattern is rather populair in non-chaulk logger boots....we sell a bunch of them. Very simular tread pattern to my Elk trackers. Ice isn't much fun but anything else is fine.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/iris...-tracker-brown

Thumbs up Re: Need help finding insulated hicking boots

Quote Originally Posted by .270 View Post
    I’m looking for a pair of good quality insulated/Gore-tex hiking boots for late season deer hunts. I want something with enough insulation (800gr thinsulate or other equivalent) that will keep my feet warm enough to stay out all day whether I’m walking or holed up some place glassing /waiting, but not too bulky so that I can cover fair bit of ground if I have to.
    I have a pair of Irish setters right now and they are fine for truck or quad hunting but they aren’t what I would call hiking boots. Do you guys have any recommendations?
    Hanwags. Best hiking/hunting boot I have ever owned. Works for my dall hunts, moose and grouse! Check out the Trapper GTX or the Trapper Light GTX.

http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-kategorie.php?cat_id=9

Diggs

Quote Originally Posted by DiggsNWT View Post
    Hanwags. Best hiking/hunting boot I have ever owned. Works for my dall hunts, moose and grouse! Check out the Trapper GTX or the Trapper Light GTX.

http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-kategorie.php?cat_id=9

Diggs
    Lots of great feedback on these boots but I can't bring myself to buy boots without trying them on first to make sure they are the right fit for my feet.

Where did you buy yours from?