Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer sheds in the lml?

Deer sheds in the lml?

I have found some decent deer sheds out in woods while hunting or hiking around. However I have never found any around the lml. Just before the snow starting to fly in the lml I was out for a walk in a park in Langley and I found a monster blacktail shed. I only found one side and it had a super thick base! Just wondering if others have had any luck finding sheds in the more off the beaten path areas of the lml. Prior to this I haven't had a lot of luck finding blacktail sheds. I spent a few years as a forestry engineer in the upper Pitt river and never found a shed once and I walked many miles and saw many, many deer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer sheds in the lml?

I have found a few elk deer hangers over my years shed hunting ,,gives a person excitement when you find an antler hanging off a branch..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

just one for me down here. found most of the skeleton lying in the area. just this one side and partialy chewed up.

I found one in Region 2. Campbell Valley park in Langley might be good. Seen quite a few deer with decent head gear south of 32nd. Small bodies but nice dense 4 point racks. Never tried "hunting" Campbell Valley park, but I bet if you get off the trail you will find tracks and poop, maybe rubs or sheds.

[QUOTE=caddisguy;1857242]I found one in Region 2. Campbell Valley park in Langley might be good. Seen quite a few deer with decent head gear south of 32nd. Small bodies but nice dense 4 point racks. Never tried "hunting" Campbell Valley park, but I bet if you get off the trail you will find tracks and poop, maybe rubs or sheds.[/QU

When do sheds typically start to drop with BTs?

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post

When do sheds typically start to drop with BTs?
    My understanding is that some start dropping late December and January, but very few. It should happen on a wide scale throughout February and should be finished by early to mid March. I have never ventured out for the sole purpose of shed hunting, but if I did, I think the last week of February and first week or March would be good to hit well known wintering areas before the ticks and shed hunters are out in numbers ... maybe see some bucks with antlers to follow around patiently lol

Any serious shed hunters that can confirm the times? Guessing it depends on area, condition of deer, nutrients, severity of winter etc
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-13-2016 at 10:48 AM.

hey there hunter1947...I always hang sheds in trees when I find them....

Found one up in the trees near the Seymour River after cycling up to the hatchery one time and another one on Bowen island.

I'll jump in!

I love hunting sheds in the spring, and picked half of mine around the lower mainland last year (9 of 18 ). The first one I picked up was mid-Feb, and I suspect it had been there a couple weeks. The last antlers only dropped off bucks around the first of March - I watched the herd closely.

You could start hunting in January, but most would suggest you don't as you could end up shifting the deer (who in all likelihood haven't yet dropped their antlers) out of stable bedding and feeding areas - making your goal of picking up sheds a whole lot harder.

Langley has some nice blacktail for sure! The only problem is they cross back and forth between public and private land. On the other hand, providing you don't go stomping in too early, the herds are without pressure and your chance of actually picking up a shed are significantly higher than picking up blacktail sheds in the hills.

I should also add that a stray antler will wreak havoc on a lawn mower. See one on private land, go knock on the door and ask to walk the lot.