Thread: Jump shooting geese

Question Jump shooting geese

So I've done some jump hunting ducks in a few ponds around my area (Kamloops) with some success But haven't had any luck seeing any geese

I've mostly gone out in the evening. My questions are,

-What time is best to find geese? morning or evening
    -What are the chances the geese are landing in the ponds in the back country verses the farm land and parks closer to or in town?
    -Should I stick with one pond and wait for more to come or keep moving pond to pond?

I've looked around the farm lands but seems to me they're all too close to the roads and highways to use firearms on

I'll keep beating the ponds and see what I can sneak up on. On a plus note it's an awfull lot of fun trying to sneak up on ducks, Smart little buggers

If anyone is around the kamloops (within 2hrs) area and is interested in a partner for some goose hunting I would be most appreciative. please drop me a PM. As you can guess I don't have a heck of a lot of gear just my camo, O/U Shotgun and my GSP birdy getter (He does a great job of retrieving birds so I don't have to

Thanks for all your help and good luck.
    Doesn't matter how old or gangster you are, if a toddler hands you a toy phone, you answer that sh!t

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jump shooting geese

Early morning and evening are the best times. And id keep moving from pond to pond.

The have eyesight of an eagle though so be sneeky. And remember, you need to be ultra close then spook'em to get them to flight. Unless you are under 20yds you will never get a dead bird if its standin'. If you have ever seen Star Trek, their wings are like the sheilds!

Well my advice is, if there are ALOT of geese on the pond 50+ not to shoot it at all rather follow them out to wear they are feeding and shoot them there. Geese use water for safety, either as a day roost or night roost. IF they are snoozing there over night be there first thing in the morning and follow them out, if they are day roosting id be there around 2 and do the same.

You can shoot the same geese over and over again in different fields. but you dont get many shots at them once you've busted the roost. Best case is you get maybe one more shot at them, worst is they change roosts, or blow out of the area all togther.

If someone is bothering you at a resturant, you just go to another one. IF some one invades your home, you move out of the neighbourhood all togther.'

Lorne

Good call... I went out this evening with no luck finding any geese not that I could have shot them anyway being as the season is over till Oct 1st

I found an amazing honey hole for ducks tho Must have been over 150 ducks on the pond when I got there The crappy part is it's all very open with nearly no chance of sneaking up on them. I walked around the pond and if I came within 75 yards of them they would fly away in the opposite direction.

This brings me to another question... If I set up a blind near the pond will the ducks return to the same pond afterward wacking a few of them or will they find elsewhere to eat like the geese that Lorneparker1 described?

If I'm in a tent blind and they never really see me but hear the gun shot do you think they will still associate that with danger and move on?

I'm thinking after I shoot one or two down I'll send the dog out to get em and I should never have to show myself outside the tent.

It really come down to how darn smart are ducks????

Thanks for the input guys, this duck hunting thing is the most fun I've had with a shotgun Hmmmm... Maybe I should move back to the coast
    Doesn't matter how old or gangster you are, if a toddler hands you a toy phone, you answer that sh!t

First..... Ducks are as smart as any White tail you will ever know!

If you found one honey hole i'm sure there is more. See if there is any sort of natural cover for you and you dog. Or if you could build a natural blind at these ponds. I like natural blinbs soley because you can set them up and maintain them through the season and not have to set them up over and over. Of course only do this if you think know one will mind. A couple sticks and some grass is high enough for you to sit on a 5 gallon pail is enough.

If you get in there at dark you should be good. Just don hit any one place too hard, they will get smart to it.

That's a great idea. Natural blinds would be real easy to put together with a few sticks and some grass Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a few geese comin in. Now I have to figure out where on the pond to set up? Seems They're all over the pond in no certain place. Perhaps I should invest in some decoys to help bring them to me. Any ideas what line of decoys would be a good starter. I saw some on cabelas website for around forty dollars a dozen. Mallards. What's your thoughts?

Well that is where you and me are quite similar!

I did alot of pass / jump shooting for sea ducks. Hence my thoughts on natural blind building. I have just been learning the decoy thing myself! my dad bought some used " crap " decoys. They need a paint job bad. I have noticed a differance though. Between my massive experiance in callin and decoying ( insert sarcasm here) i have noticed a differance. We have called in a few birds which is new to me.

Look in whatever "used" place you have availible to you. You can paint them back to shape. Or Canadian tire, wal mart or Cabellas.

I cant really tell you how to set them up as i am learning that my self. But what i can tell you is dont be afraid to try. Look at what the birds are doing, how they are sitting on the water and leave a hole for them to land in.

The natural blind thing alows you to set a few up in the same place. This alows you to experiment with no negative impact to the enviornment and no real work.

One day me and my dad found a pond full of birds. By accident i learnd something that may or may not be truth. There was a ridge running into the middle of the pond, say 30' ish and we were 100yds from it at the end. Making the pond 200 yds ish.

When we started to shoot the close birds 40yds minus. The the birds from the back of the pond didnt know where we were. They hugged the ridge and then dropped low to fly out the end of the pond..... where we were!

Theory is, a bit of long range cover to deflect the muzzel blast and confuse the birds might be good. And an obsticle to make them want to fly at you.

This info is from my 7-8 years of self taught duck bustin!

Great info I'm gonna head out after work and survey the land and see what I can figure would be the best place to sit so to funnel them towards me. Thanks a lot. I think I'll also check out the pawn shops might get lucky Thanks again for all the help It's been a pretty enjoyable leaning experience.

it gets funner when you arent typing it!

I found that the kamloops geese were in the alfalfa fields or the soccer fields on mac island. Get to know a rancher where they are feeding the ranchers hate them as they eat the root systems so that reseeding is necessary every year. there is some opportunity to pass shoot geese at banana island