Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Squirrels

Shooting Squirrels

Went to Dee Lake for a camping trip this weekend with the family and while out scouting around for grouse, I happened (of course) to see lots of squirrels. Now to me, these guys are no more than rats with furry tails, and according to BC regs, fair class C game, so I plugged a couple. As it turns out, some people don't like that, SURPRISE! Now what really got me was, the lady running the resort would have been MORE than happy to have me sit and shoot chipmunks all day, but leave the squirrels alone. Didn't really make much sense to me (and they are not mentioned in the regs at all, so I consider them as off limits). What are your thoughts on shooting either of these animals?

For the record, I don't typically shoot animals I don't intend to eat, unless I consider them a nuisance animal, even then I try to find SOMETHING constructive to do with the carcass, squirrels, unfortunately don't have much meat and the pelt carries no value, so I leave them for the coyotes.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting Squirrels

I know they are annoying as hell but you don't got to plug em all Haha before i got into hunting for actually game i used to go and hunt them all the time but thats also part of growing up in a small town

That girl there is kinda quarky... But for me, shoot as many as you can. Theyre annoying as hell, and its not like theyre gonna go extinct
    do it right, or dont do it at all.

Not so sure about shooting squirrels. I think only grey or black squirrels are class C not the native red ones. Red squirrels are classed as fur bearers. Might want to recheck your regs.

Squirrel tails are used for tying flies.
    I buy them natural or dyed black for some nymphs and streamers.
    I'm sure the flyshop or your fishin buddies would appreciate them.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
    Squirrel tails are used for tying flies.
    I buy them natural or dyed black for some nymphs and streamers.
    I'm sure the flyshop or your fishin buddies would appreciate them.
    Cheers
    Never thought of that, thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunjohn View Post
    Not so sure about shooting squirrels. I think only grey or black squirrels are class C not the native red ones. Red squirrels are classed as fur bearers. Might want to recheck your regs.
    Pg 14 of the regs:

(h) all species of the genus Sicurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels

The squirrels I'm talking about are both of these, not the red, they look completely different and are usually pretty easy to recognize, not many around here either.

Quote Originally Posted by 204rug.ftw View Post
    That girl there is kinda quarky... But for me, shoot as many as you can. Theyre annoying as hell, and its not like theyre gonna go extinct

That girl?

Quote Originally Posted by TPB View Post
    That girl?
    he girl, or lady, from the Dee Lake Resort that didn't want me shooting the squirrels was all for exterminating chipmunks.

Ah i apologize i had a bad misunderstanding, thanks for clearing it but yes pretty weird she liked the squirrels better than the chipmunks