Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saw my first ring necked pheasant!

saw my first ring necked pheasant!

I was out getting wood from a logged area when down the road walks a male ring necked pheasant i was like wow what a neat bird.
    So when is the hunting season lol
    ttyal
    Riley
    There is room for all gods creatures........ right next to the mashed potatoes
    its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: saw my first ring necked pheasant!

Neat, Check the reg's?
    Symon

seasons always open when your a death junky.....
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Saw a dead one on the road the other day and nearly creamed it when the car in front of me skimmed over it and I saw it at the last second and had little time to steer the tires away.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

They used to be very plentiful in the Fraser Valley, but foxes, coons, and possum have
    greatly wiped them out. A fox can easily catch them unawares. Coons and possum
    take their eggs. Fifty-seventy-five years ago a neighbor used to have the largest pheasant
    farm in the pacific northwest, selling 100's of birds to private gun clubs in the Fraser delta
    and to the government for release each year. Additionally, he had escapees now and then
    as well which artificially enhanced local populations. I had hunting permission on the farms
    all around his place and did my best to capitalize on the situation, lol!

Classic KK revival
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

guest Guest

In the late seventies and early eighties, and only a month season, I busted my ass over ol Blue our Wiemeraner and then a couple different Labs Baron and Jed ......... Was always able to harvest two to three dozen a season. Cock birds and all wilds. Up to 32 bars but some were lucky to get the odd 34 or 35 bars. terrific sporting bird, a gas to shoot, fast , explosive. Neighboring property like Associated released some farmed birds, no comparison. Actually, tough to even bother compared to wilds. That said, maybe a few escapees help the population. Unfortunately, as said, yotes have done the most damage. Kind of tough to find good wild bird spots now. Pops used to really hammer them in the 50s and 60s in Surrey, parts of Delta but Ladner was loaded. I became his minny packer and was hooked after that. Sure miss them days.

35 years ago I would see one in my yard once in a while... right here in Brentwood Bay... loss of habitat and cats have done them in around here...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    They used to be very plentiful in the Fraser Valley, but foxes, coons, and possum have
    greatly wiped them out. A fox can easily catch them unawares. Coons and possum
    take their eggs. Fifty-seventy-five years ago a neighbor used to have the largest pheasant
    farm in the pacific northwest, selling 100's of birds to private gun clubs in the Fraser delta
    and to the government for release each year. Additionally, he had escapees now and then
    as well which artificially enhanced local populations. I had hunting permission on the farms
    all around his place and did my best to capitalize on the situation, lol!
    Was that the farm on Sylvester Rd with the large mesh covered coup?
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

We used to have a few grouse, pheasant and the odd fox around here. Once the coyotes gained their stronghold, everything was decimated.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.