Thread: youth starting out in PG

youth starting out in PG

Hi all, My son has just passed his core last weekend and has been talking about getting into bow hunting. He's been out with me under a junior licence since he's been 10 but has no experience with bows. I'm sure at some point I'll get into bow hunting as well but for now there isn't enough time so it's low on the priority list for me. What I would like to find out is what is available in PG as far as archery clubs. We were told that there was no oppenings in the silvertip archery club so are there any other options? He is almost as hunting crazy as I am and if he wants to give archery a try I would like to do what I can to see it happen. Any advice and info is appreciated.
    I didn't miss, that was a warning shot!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: youth starting out in PG

There are a couple really helpful guys on here. Bowzone Mikey I think is one and he is a PG guy as well.
    I have heard mixed reviews about silvertip myself but have not been there. I shoot in the backyard mostly for fun.
    I find it hard to believe a club would turn down a potential member especially a junior.
    No Quarter

Bow Walker Guest

PM Bowzone Mikey - he lives in PG and he's an archery g33k and is very willing (and knowledgeable) to lend a hand. Just don't tell him I said all those nice things about him...ok?

Sivertip said they were full?? Wierd, a week or so ago I was just talking to a few of their directors and they were practically jumping at the bit to get in me to sign on.

Call Ted Stern from T&F Country sports. He's a certified archery teacher, and runs arguably the best pro-shop in PG. He'll even let you try out a few shots on a bow before you purchase.

I'm PMing you his number as I forget the rules here for posting dealers numbers. I'll post it here for all to see if it's okay. Is it okay bow walker?
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.

Thanks Loki
    I'll Give Ted a call. I hope I was misinformed about silvertip or there is another club as I don't have any bow experience and dont want to turn a 14 year old loose with a bow and no instruction.
    I didn't miss, that was a warning shot!

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Sivertip said they were full?? Wierd, a week or so ago I was just talking to a few of their directors and they were practically jumping at the bit to get in me to sign on.

Call Ted Stern from T&F Country sports. He's a certified archery teacher, and runs arguably the best pro-shop in PG. He'll even let you try out a few shots on a bow before you purchase.

I'm PMing you his number as I forget the rules here for posting dealers numbers. I'll post it here for all to see if it's okay. Is it okay bow walker?
    Nah, better keep it to PM. I got my P-P slapped for posting a bunch of links from US companies for purchasing archery products.....

Thanks for the heads up Bow Walker.

Well have you bought a bow for your son yet? It's been my experience that Ted's a good enough guy that not only does he let you try before you purchase (as long as the bows setup already, I don't know if he'll set it up for your trials, but never hurts to ask I guess) but he gives you pointers as you shoot. After you buy ask to take a few shots at his range, and he'll give pointers, which from a certified instructor free advice is good advice

If Silvertip is truly full then sign him up for lessons from Ted, then set him loose with any mentors that'll be willing to bring him under their wing in PG. I'd say lessons first, as we all have our own little quirks, and some of us (speaking for myself here) might have even developed bad habits. Not speaking for others on this site, as I'm sure people like bowzone mikey are friggin arrow chucking machines .
    Good trader rating from Jessbennett The others seem to be lost in the original thread deletion.

[quote=loki;746, as I'm sure people like bowzone mikey are friggin arrow chucking machines .[/quote]
    Yup he chucks im good ...just has not much idea where they are going to end up .
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

SilverTip typically has a wait list for the JOP program and thats what they ment I am sure ..... I am actually taking my kids to Quesnels club for JOP because its not as full normally.

Ted is the best resource North in Northern BC bar none... his place is out Buckhorn lake road , just past the school.

Hardnock ... ya you are right some days I have no idea where they end up

sorry about the long delay in response ... yesterday was a long day of chasin elk

Moosetaken ... I live up the Hart ...PM me if you have any questions you may have
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask