Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling Meat in Water?

Cooling Meat in Water?

Just curious on your thoughts about keeping the deer you just bagged cool in a creek or stream. This of course would be a last resort, assuming it was bagged early on what turned out to be a fairly warm day and no quick way out of the bush. Not something I would normally have considered, but it was suggested to me by an old timer that I know has killed PLENTY deer in his 70 plus years. Haven't done it yet, but now it's in the back of my mind.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cooling Meat in Water?

Personally I wouldn't want my meat in the water with all of the potenital nastiness that is in there (fecal coliforms, giardia etc. etc.). However a quick Google search didn't turn up any conclusive evidence against the practice.

some people on here swear by it and some say to never do it. do a search on here this topic has come up lots
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Have done it once to cool down a deer , on the advise of an oldtime butcher /hunter.
    his advise was : Leave the hide on or your meat will turn white /slimey , the inside has a membrane that prevents this . thats why you just wipe the outside of a carcass but can wash the inside with water
    We just left it in the creek about an hour or so to coool it down and wash it up and then headed for home .

On a warm day, and after gutting the deer, I find no harm in cooling down and cleaning the deer for blood etc, in a river or creek, before skinning it.

One very cute butcher at Rich's Meat, Cranbrook, just told me not to wash the deer on the outside. She also did a very nice job in cutting and wrapping the deer.

I've been told as a last resort, double bag the meat and drop in a creek or the edge of a pond. Keep the bags open enough to let the initial moisture out for the first while. Once cold tot he touch, either hang on your pole, of bug out and find a cooler.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

build a rack just above water. we have done this lots by creeks and rivers, keeps meat cool and dont have to worry about whats in the water
    lovin the new mod 70 .308!

"If" you are going to do it.....be sure as noted by Steeleco that you bag it.

It may not be too bad if you do it without if you are going to be heading off to the butcher in short order, but if you are cooling it in a creek to have it hang for a week in camp I wouldn't do it. If you do it....make sure you have the meat wrapped in cheesecloth and have game bags over the top. Water can get into the tissue pockets and provide an outstanding environment for bacteria to grow, blowflies to lay eggs etc etc. Not to mention the crap that can be in water as well.

I am sure many, many do as 3kills noted it has been discussed at length on here. My advice was given to me by someone who has many, many years of studying parasites in wildlife. As mentioned in other posts, get the hide off and get it hanging ASAP, in shade or next to creek etc.

sfire436 Guest

I have done it MANY times with moose quarters. Hide down in a moving stream overnight will cool it to the bone. Hang the meat and let the hide drip dry then skin it and bag it. NEVER had it spoil and never had problens with bugs as the meat is cool. Other hunters I have brought on trips have been hesitant to do it because of old wives tales but are always sold once they see the results.

I haven't done it yet, but if I was in the position to, I'd double bag it for extra protection.