Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 finger shooters out there?

3 finger shooters out there?

Hi, I have been shooting arrows since June and I have been using 3 finger instead of a release. I would love to be good with the basics before I use more aids. Anyone else who shoot without a release? Any pointers on how to do it properly?

Thanks!

SG

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3 finger shooters out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    Hi, I have been shooting arrows since June and I have been using 3 finger instead of a release. I would love to be good with the basics before I use more aids. Anyone else who shoot without a release? Any pointers on how to do it properly?
    I always drew with three fingers, than at full draw let the third finger slip off and released using only two fingers, one above and one below the string.

Always have shot 3 fingers, when I started out almost 50 years ago with a stick bow then to a couple of different recurves and on to a compound about 20 years ago no real trick from what I have been doing for years just "relax" your fingers until it lets loose. Tried a release but didn't like it maybe just me but I like the feel of the string I feel like I'm more in control?
    PS When hunting I don't use a tab or glove only when targetting don't want nothing hanging up or getting in the way.
    Last edited by moosecaller; 09-12-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 6616 View Post
    I always drew with three fingers, than at full draw let the third finger slip off and released using only two fingers, one above and one below the string.
    That's the way I shot to. Until arthritis in my release hand/fingers made me go to a release. Not very traditional but it works and I still get to shoot my longbow.

As soon as I got above 50 lbs on my compound I went to a release and that's all I shoot - for compound anyway.

I remember being taught to come to full draw - 3 fingers - and then relax the fingers and "let it happen naturally", don't try to consciously let go of the string or you'll soon be "throwing" the string as you release it. Not good for accuracy or consistency.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

I'm a proponent of the "pull through" method. Come to full draw, pause if you do, then relax your fingers as you continue to draw. If your fingers brush your ears you've done it correctly- .

Just relaxing your hand at full draw can (and does quite often) lead to throwing the string instead of letting slip from your fingers.

RC

From years ago shooting with sites we used a kisser on the string. Shooting instinctive I put the middle finger in the corner of my mouth. Find a spot for the string and be consistent. Release and let your hand go back naturally and brush your ear. You'll find what works for you. Important part is to be consistent. Just getting back into shooting after 20 plus years so things might have changed. I know bows have

I am nearing the end of 3 finger shooting as I will likely buy a new bow this winter. However, I've been practicing significantly since I started that post and tomorrow, I'll put that practice into use.

I shoot my recurve with my fingers, but use a release on my heavier compound. I used to use three fingers on the compound too, but oh!!. . . was it ever encouraging when I started to use that release! My shooting improved big time. So did my confidence and my enjoyment. Maybe I will go back to fingers later, as other parts of my form get better, but wow, the difference is remarkable and now I am happier. I recommend that you try out the release, then make up your mind. . . I never thought of using the release with the recurve too. . . hmm!

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stonepoint View Post
    I shoot my recurve with my fingers, but use a release on my heavier compound. I used to use three fingers on the compound too, but oh!!. . . was it ever encouraging when I started to use that release! My shooting improved big time. So did my confidence and my enjoyment. Maybe I will go back to fingers later, as other parts of my form get better, but wow, the difference is remarkable and now I am happier. I recommend that you try out the release, then make up your mind. . . I never thought of using the release with the recurve too. . . hmm!
    Plenty do-able. It does shorten your draw length though. But the benefits compensates for that. My drawing hand is not up to shooting with fingers - half a dozen shots is all it's good for and then I've got to quit.

When using my release I can (of course) shoot all day. I use the Fletch-hook release, easiest release for loading (attaching to the D-loop) that I've ever used. Oh yeah, I installed a D-loop on the string to reduce the wear and tear. Works great.

I shoot one above the nock and two below, but was taught and teach in the NASP program to shoot with three fingers below the nock. I'm told that most olympic shooters use this method because it is inherently more accurate? Not sure thats true...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."