Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goose processor

Goose processor

Hi all does anyone know of someone who processes geese.

I am looking to have them plucked and packed, it takes so long by hand and makes such a mess, just thought there may be someone who does it.

Thanks Dan
    When the sh*t hit's the fan ... You need a Redneck Man ......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goose processor

I have not heard of anyone around this area.

Bow Walker Guest

The cost of having someone with the proper machinery process your birds would probably be pretty expensive (per bird). I'd think long and hard about plucking and gutting my own - but then that's the way I was brought up on this world.

"You shot it so you clean it". Dad's famous words. Besides - a plucking circle is a great way to socialize and go over the hunt. We keep the hearts and gizzards - if someone else processes the catch you don't get the good stuff.

$6-$9/bird in the prairies, never heard of it around here

Not to hijack but what about the pluckers you either put on a drill or buy as a complete unit you mount on a table or bench. Do they actually work. I find my hands cramp up after plucking a couple of geese and it would be nice to know if there's any easier way to remove the feathers.

Yes they will work. Ones you bolt to a bench should be alot easier as all you're doing is pushing the bird against it , not constantly holding the drill and holding that against the goose and having to hold down the drill trigger.

I know of some other guys who use them to do alot of ducks. Just go on youtube and search duck plucker and you should see a few videos. Even attachments onto drill work pretty good and you could rig up the drill to stay stationary while you work. I'd make an enclosure though, those feathers will be everywhere.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 09-11-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Bow Walker;
    Glad to see someone else uses the inards!!
    Thought me and my old buddies were the only ones still doing it
    Cheers, Field Marshal.

Bow Walker Guest

I used to eat the livers too.

But "the wife" informed me that they were waay too high in cholesterol AND that they are a filter organ.

So, sadly, my days of saute'ed livers with onions,herbs, and a red wine sauce are long gone.

Bow Walker Guest

That drill attachment sounds like a good one. I remember (now that you mention it) seeing something about it somewhere.

Mount your drill to the bench and make sure that the plucker is spinning towards the floor, or ese you'll be eating and breathing feathers and down.

there is a model that attached to a barrel, the majority of the feathers go in the barrel. They work great, with teal and other thin skinned birds you need to take it easy, but with most geese you can just giver!