Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Fall Hunting contest- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!!!!!

Re: HBC Fall Hunting contest

Here is my first elk. We called him in to 15 yards and I shot him with a Ruger 6mm right in the heart. I've only shot two mule deer before, getting this bull was really exciting!!! It was worth missing the first day of grade nine!!!

Very nice Bull Tyler96......very nice!!

This is my 6x7 bull elk [two different angles], taken in 7-21 with a Ruger MkII 338WM tossing out 225 Nosler Accubonds. He was called in using a Bite-Me & Squeeze-Me cow elk calls to about 50 yards and taken with one well placed shot from a ladder stand.[left side of pic on treeline with sitting hunter].

The best thing about this Bull is that my partner was there to see it, and got his first!

I'm gonna try and keep it short because I'm BEAT, just got in from the first hunting trip of the year. I've been VERY busy building/renovating my house, big project, not much time for hunting. I've got some Late season mulie hunting planned but I basically wrote any early season hunting off the books.

That is until today, first day out in the field, had the weekend off and Rattler and I decided to go putz around a bit. The day was pretty uneventful until about 5pm when Rattler spots a bull. The bull was 550 yards away, first look over showed the bull missing his second points and small back tines (which should have been the 6th points but only a 5er with the missing 2nds), however we were able to see he had an extra on one side. Luckily we had spotting scopes. Rattler did well pulling the bull away from his two girlfriends to within 250 yards. It took a while looking through the spotter to see if his points were long enough to be legal but in the end they were and it was GO time.

Being the sporting hunter I am I gave a low warning shot He basically just stood there and I was able to put a 130 gr TTSX from my 270WSM through the boiler room. He stood there for a minute or a little less with Knees shaking and then fell down. He still had his head up so I threaded another one through the back of his head.

Not a monster by any stretch but he's gonna taste good, still took 4 hours to pack him out to the truck, all of it in the dark through blowdown and creek crossings.

I'm going to assault my pillow now.

5x6

-Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Oh well, keep walking back to the truck, go naother couple hundred meters and I look and here comes a whitey out of the edge of the timber, tail springing, coming right at us.....He stops at about 100 or so yards and I figure, well may as well take him, easy meat, drive right to him, tender young buck....

Sneeking along some trails, trying to get a better look I come up the backside of a small knoll and peek over the top....Here is a big cow elk standing, quartering away, looking back at me over her left shoulder....

I take the rifle off my shoulder, slip off the safety, look through teh scope, confirm its a cow and aimm between her snout and left shoulder. Drop the hammer and she dropped in her tracks, in fact she dropped so quick her head went under her shoulder and stayed there, when she fell...

For teh whole story of my season go to http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55131
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

"So I'll start early and skip lunch, I need more time to pack before my trip," I said.
    I was home and packed ready to go by dinner, pumped for my first of two hunts.
    Up at 3 a.m and on the first ferry, 5:15 a.m put me in camp at 7:30 mountain time, just enough time to get set up for the next day of hunting.
    The guys were out when I arrived and when they came in for the night, they were pretty glum.
    The bulls werent talking and they werent seeing anything, however, that seems to be the general consensus in any type of hunting and worried me little.
    2 hours before light I was headed in with Robbie and WW, to one of my favorite spots, a spot that always holds a big bull, the same spot I had a 342" bull shot out from under me 2 years prior.
    I wont ever forge that bull coming in hot & heavy, towered up for my sleezy estrous talk... all to have my spirits smashed with the crack of a rifle, of someone outside our hunting party.

Still beats hunting behind a fence though.

We didnt even get to our spot and split a herd of cows headed up to bed in the timber with a good bull held up behind them. He didnt want to leave them but he also didnt want to hang around long enough for us to get an good I.D on his tine.
    Perfect, ten mins in and a promising candidate for future days... that I would not need.

We split and I checked my favorite "bedrooms" to find new trails since 2 years prior that were now pounded right out, a cow moose, many whitetail and a funky looking black bear that looked hybrid.

WW wanted to hang out til the p.m hunt since it was such a long drive back to camp but I wanted to cover the country and check a few more spots for sign.
    So thats what I did, covered 3 more areas and found promising sign in all spots, interupted briefly by a broken brake line, which I had a spare of in the truck.
    Bleeding of the brakes later on in camp led me to discover a cracked frame, over half way through in the drivers side wheel well

Later that evening found me well over 60kms from the bull we planned to hunt and no time to make it back, so I opted to walk in a deactivated road where I had some good action 3 years prior during mid day, when all other areas were quiet.
    I walked about 5 kms and was very unhappy with the lack of fresh sign, abundance of wolf shit and how grown the cuts had become since my last visit.
    However, I sat at the back bowl, by the only decent trail coming off the top of the mountain... and waited.

30 mins before I felt light was going to start falling and what was a long stint of silence, I located and let out a series of mews, a couple minutes apart.
    A minute later I heard the reply of a bull, authentic wapiti or human I was unsure as it was so far away it was faint at best and the drone of road hunters made me have my doubts.

I started the walk back to the truck and was about 10 mins into it and I caught the last half of a bugle, a bit closer but again, unsure of the creator.
    I thought to myself, "If it is a bull, he will never make it to me in time anyways, light is falling."

As I rounded one of the many snake bends I had to walk, with steep ravines between I heard rocks falling, 5-600 yards directly across.
    I kneeled and scanned the timber to catch the tawny buckskin silhouette half hidden by a clump of 15' pines.

There was no hesitation in his walk, other than to ensure solid footing as he barreled straight down the bank, hitting the road with a full not bugle and note stopping to release it.

"Its a bull and a good one, he looks wide!"
    In a brief second I had it planned exactly how it would play out, we'd meet on the dog leg of the turn as we met face to face, at less than 40 yards.

With me aware of his presence and him not mine, I had my binos up when he peeked around the corner at me, at my unnatural stance of a 2 legged predator whom he's surely been educated from before.

The disbelief in an animals eye is always comical when they see me, they know, but they second guess themselves almost every time and this wasnt the first time it resulted in the demise of their life.

1,2,3,4,5... 1,2,3,4,5.... good sticker, maybe 2 ! He bolted straight down the road, I take two steps to get on his "six" and chirp twice, he climbs the 15' bank like it wasnt there and looks back, quartering away.

He likely didnt have time to settle the weight on his feet on the awkward incline when i slipped the 168gr tsx projectile perfectly through his heart and both lungs.
    He lunged forward with futile unsure steps as his life had left him before he hit the ground and the finishing round I cycled for good measure never had to leave the barrel.

My shot was heard across the valley and soon the truck found my headlight as I worked to 'untie' his legs from the blow down he came to settle in.
    I thought it'd be fun, quick and easy to drag him to the road, kick him off the bank and load him whole.... which we did in well over an hour

He is an older bull and lived out his prime, clearly evident by the subtle points which he has lost with age. He's wide, has good tine length on his fronts, good bases but he is just a "meat bull" and another one for the memory book.

Another flawless TSX

Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 09-29-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Up early with frost in the air again. I hiked back into the area I wanted to be the night before as I had success the year before bugling a few bulls. I a come to the edge of the two year old cut and glass the edges I can hear the birds chirping and have a mule doe feeding in front of me. Back in the direction of where I had bugled the bulls the year before I hear a half hearted attempt at a bugle. Not sure that it wasn't another hunter I decided to get around to that side and into the timber, to not make the mistake I made the year earlier. When I was in the timber a couple hundred yards and thinking I might be within reasonable distance of the sound I had heard I let out a couple cow calls. I waited a minute or two and let out a light bugle. Immediately I get a response. A bugle from in front of me about 200 yards. Just as he finishes his bugle I bugled again. It's quiet. I sit tight to see what his next move was to be. About three minutes pass and then I see a small evergreen tree violently shaking just over the small ridge in front of me 100 yds away. The heart skips a beat as I realize he's coming in. Next I spot the top of his rack just above the underbrush as he approaches just beyond the ridge. Almost instantly he stands not 50 yards away broad side looking in my direction. I let off the safety on my new rifle, pull up and release 150 gr fusion in his direction. It feels like a good shot, but he runs about 20 yds and stops. He turns to look back and gives me a shot at his neck, so I take it. He now ran out of sight. I made my way to the crest of the ridge to try and find him when I hear what I think is his thrashing on the ground but he is still standing but I could tell he was about to go down. He gave me one more shot at the neck and he dropped. My second bull elk was on the ground. As I approached him to admire I count the points, 5 & 6, beauty!! For those wondering my first shot was a double lung, the second narrowly missed the neck bone and the third connected. I retrieved one of the fusions and it mushroomed beautifully. The one surprise was that the 150 gr was not a through and through, but there was very little meat damage, but the lungs were a mess. Skinned and quarted on the hook the fronts were 120 lb and the hind were 146 lb each for a total of 536 lbs

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

I was in search of a real sexy bitch of a nanny to post for the critics on HBC.
    I think the nannys are nicer and I didnt want a heavy pack out so less meat would be better for me.

Before heading into my zone I stopped for a b.s with CW.
    We'd talked through pm several times and I was looking forward to meeting him.
    Coincidentally, he is a welder and would later go on to fix my truck for me (the crack) and the bugger wouldnt accept any $ for doing so.
    I'm very gratefull of both that and to have made a new friend and likely hunting partner.
    I will return the favour.
    He also said he'd check on my truck each day as he had to go right by it enroute to work, perfect.

At first light I hit the trail, I knew where I wanted to go, just not the path that would lead me there.
    I scoped out a couple canyons before committing to going all the way in one as I like to get a feel for the lay of the land, so I had quite the day under my belt already.
    Of course I started up the obvious right side of the river, although had been told to start up the left side and in the end, crossed over, being stubborn as I can be.

Lots of grizzly diggings, maybe a good spring bear hunt, note to self...
    Elk and moose tracks were plentiful in the mud and I stumbled across many potential wallows but they didnt seem to be used for as.

The scenery and country immediately became apparent why this area is known as a "locals area" and for such reasons the location will not be disclosed.
    I did however, run into a local, of 12 years prior who ironically now lives in the same town I do !
    Our intended victims were different though, his an elk or moose, mine a skimpy nanny.
    Clint if you are on here, shoot me a p.m...

My first glassing location was about 3 hours in and I saw several nannys and kids on easy to reach knobs at low elevation.
    I knew this was my problem soon I went.

Continuing on I started a good climb, as I had 6 days worth of gear with me and I was already starting my stalk to get a better look at the billy that was hanging with a couple other nannys up top.
    This was my first goat hunt but the difference between sexes was quite obvious and with afternoon well underway, I wanted a better look at him.

Three quarters of the way up and about 1200' more to go, I took a breather and glassed what lay further ahead that I could not see from below... and spotted a real billy.

All alone, dirty, yellow and his glands were obvious from well over a km away.
    Initial stalk was abandoned and a new gear was found to try and get closer before night fall.
    One thing I found in goat country is, you cant "hurry," the odds of falling or making a LOT more noise are greatly increased.
    So I went straight down to the valley floor as opposed to sidehilling the whole way, dropped my pack, pocketed my rangefinder, 2 extra bullets and my headlamp and "gunned it" (binos are always on me)

"585 yds" the Leica said as he hopped off the last ridge into the cliffs.
    Goat 1- Me 0.
    An hour later I was back at my pack and headed up to look for a "flat spot" to camp.

If you didnt get that, thats a joke, a "flat spot" to pitch a tent in goat country.
    The basin I had to climb up to even see the goat again after I dropped my pack was hidden from below so I didnt want to camp on the valley floor and I sure didnt want to climb it again tomorrow or any other day for that matter.

I actually ended up camping much higher than I thought I would, 7000' to be exact (garmin)

I made my "flat spot" in about 15 mins and popped the Hillberg Allak's cherry right there.

After setting up I poked around and did some glassing across the valleys and was happy with what I saw, the scenery made the fact the goats were or were not there, irrelevant, what a spectacular place.
    The goat sign was nice too

No more goats were glassed up that night.
    Winds must have been 60mph and the tent was very quiet as it was completely "taught" and I slept well.
    I awoke to pink skies and the forewarned weather promised by them came as surely as each minute following the second hand.

2 hours of glassing and my billy was nowhere to be found.
    No biggie, I was fresh and "curious" what was hidding over the 8,500' wall behind me, grabbed a day bag and headed up.
    Half way up I was looking at the ice wishing I had crampons and was following it up the mountain with my eyes, looked back and that friggin billy from the day before was bedded 300' above my tent !
    The peripheral vision limited by the opening of my tent which I had glassed from, in the comfort of my bag while eating breakfast was "just a wall" that would surely be unnavigational by anything... right ?

So here I was, the 'dumb goat' who was likely watched all a.m by the 'smart goat' and he watched me head back down the mtn towards camp to crawl behind a pinnacle, set up and range find him @ 285yds as he casually walked away.
    I was in no hurry nor was he and after several ten mins he turned broadside to overlook his "domain"
    As he overlooked his domain I overlooked the ledge he was on and after the 168 gr TSX smashed both shoulders he dropped and lay still.... and slightly twitched once and had a tumble.
    I felt sick, I was certain he would be a nanny when he hit the bottom but fortunately he lost aboutan inch on one side and just needs a bit of minor surgery on his chin.

He is a 4.5 year old 9.5" billy and every bit a trophy to me.
    In the time it took me to climb down to him, the ravens were already waiting, slim pickin's up there I guess.

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/...ElkGoat070.mp4

This was a very fullfilling and rewarding hunt.
    One thing I do NOT like about the rocks is how hard they are on the horns, even with taking care they got scratched to sh!t.
    I hope my next goat falls on a grassy hill!
    I do regret having both hunts come to an end so quickly. I really wanted to explore more of my goat zone and had I known I would get a goat so soon, i would have held out for a better bull.
    My goat LEH was priority so I told myself, first legal bull.

I then went on to look for something "else" as I finished my hunt with 9 days left but will leave that for another time when I fill "that" quest.
    I will now concentrate on blacktails and I'd like to get away for a mulie hunt at some point.

You know, goats are an amazing animal, where they live, the scenery that goes with them and effort required, to make it successful makes this one of the most rewarding hunts I've been on.
    I highly recommend a goat hunt to anybody who thinks it wouldnt be for them.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 09-29-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Entry #2.

Well The day started out pretty interesting. Right away my dad spotted a deer, a buck of coarse. At first he had said it wasn't going to be a shooter, then slowly but surely that buck turned into a nice one. Needless to say i had already cut one tag and with my dad originally saying a small one i wasn't too interested in it. We keep moving, checking out some more "hotspots" and around 8:30am my dad spotted a 2 point that had HUGE mass all the way through the antlers and a smaller 2. (Like I mentioned earlier, I had already cut a tag and wasn't expecting to shoot a 2 this early) Me, not really getting a good look at it, took his word for it. We say what way it was going and knew not very far they would come out into a clearing. We decided to circle around and get a better view of those bucks. We were walking out to the bowl where they had been heading and first thing we see is him. I immediately got set up and was counting points. before I could finish my dad said "its got a lot of mass and a small tine to make it a 3" I told my dad previously i was holding out for a 3 and a 3 was going down. So I got lined up and "BANG" nothing happened. I missed? he's still standing there so again "BANG" again nothing happened. Now at this point this gun was making me mad. "here, take my gun!" says dad. Ok so once again "BANG" That deer jumped about 20' into the air and ran. I quickly cycled the bolt and let fly again. Now im not sure whether or not this deer had already slowed down but by the time the smoke cleared he was slowing down and heading for one nasty spot. "QUICK, shoot him again!" "BANG" and I kid you not. That deer nose dived into the dirt flipped over and started kicking. I watched him close making sure he was getting back up. Nope he stayed down and eventually expired. After the pictures and the gut job it was the NASTIEST drag ever...... believe me, it was nasty.
    Hes not the biggest 3 out there but I'm more than pleased with him and I would end my season in a heartbeat on that deer.

Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Good job, Shooter Jr. Nice looking buck..ahh yes, the drag out. That's most of the fun.. lol

Your sure making your dad proud this year.

Congrats on all your sucess.

The RMR crew & I skipped work on friday, loaded up the boats and headed out to a secret river of ours. There was a warm front coming in a couple days and there was on & off rain, helping water levels be a little more navigable.
    We boated 2 1/2hrs upstream to our camp and got settled in for the night.

At first light Tim and I picked our way up the river valley cow calling but were'nt getting much action. We stopped and B.S.'d for a bit cow calling every couple minutes and started to move out and I spotted this guy cheking us out

He spooked after a bit, but we cow called as soon as he left and he held up over the hill. We moved to a spruce and cow called & bugled at him but still not a peep out of him, but he was curious and wanted to get a better look at us. He was only at 80yds but we were having a hard time seeing his antlers all we could see was that he was at least a 5x5, not enough for our 6 point season. So we decided to have some fun with him and started bugling and raking trees...That got his attention. He charged in towards us and we noticed he had a squeeker 6th point. At that point I figured we had come that far and it would be packing downhill the whole way. I passed my vid cam to Tim and smashed him behind the shoulder, he humped-up and I shot it in the lungs again. He reared up and shot downhill and crashed into some trees and fell into a depression. We hardly lost sight of him and started celebrating.

We were only a couple miles from camp, but I only took my daypack, so to save us an extra trip I traded Tim for his packframe and loaded the front and rear quaters of one side and we made our way down to camp.

After sandwiches and gallons of water we made our second trip and snagged the rest of the meat and I did a mountaintop european with my hand saw to save some weight on the head!
    An hour after we were in camp we were feasting on backstraps in mushroom gravy and sipping corona's.
    I used my Rem 700 300 wsm and 168gr Barnes TSX over 67gr RL19, and a little Quaker horesepower
    life doesn't get much better and I felt blessed.