Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Fall Hunting contest- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!!!!!

Re: HBC Fall Hunting contest

Really appreciate the work and effort you put in Gatehouse, one thing I think this site has always needed was a section for hunt stories that could be archived for future reading, this is the closest to finding them without having to spend hours searching the Main board, Kudos to you and I hope this continues every season. And I'll make sure I put an entry or 2 in this year .

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Alright, here is my entry. He's a real monster pig of a bull. Came into the meadow around 5:00am and saw a cow and after a couple of minutes this little guy comes out too. They walked out of my line of sight so I climbed into a tree stand in the meadow, leaned against the tree a fired off a shot. I got to the bull, but the cow wouldn't leave me alone for a good 45 minutes. Eventually the cow gave up and we got him out of there.[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/font][/font]

Entered on my daughters behalf, it's way past her bed time!! Steeleco

Now for the other kid killer. Steeleco

As per previous PM with Gatehouse

I will throw in a prize as well

Custom caping knife
    cocobolo handle with yellow spacers
    brass pins and a thong hole.
    Black compression style sheath with yellow stitching

will start on it when I get home for days off
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Here's my entry.

After 2 straight days of hunting, I finally managed to cut a tag.

Day 1 Sept. 11
    The day started out with a full truck, me, my dad (Shooter), my brother, and 5spike left the house before light. As we crept we up the road, we see some deer cross, nothing special, only does. We kept moving looking for the big guy. As we came into our spot 5spike see two bucks fighting. There were 3 deer, 2 bucks and a doe. Out me, my dad and my brother go. We identified the biggest one as a large 3x3. As my brother didn't have a shot and my dad lost sight of them, over the hill they go, never to be seen again. We kept on moving. We eventually came to where we were headed and got out and walked. Me and my dad stuck together as did 5spike and my brother . We saw a bunch of deer but none were legal. We saw 25 deer and 5spike's team saw 18 (we saw some of the same deer) 2 were 2 points but nothing panned out. We drove around for along time without seeing to much, until about 3pm, that's when the bucks were on the move. We went back to our spot again but this time drove it. First thing we did was see a nice buck. It was looking like it was another 3 point. This time it was my time and he was about 150 yards away broad side. (unfortunately it took me too long to get set up and it was about 350 yards when I was on it, too far for me). That deer was with about 8 other deer criss crossing together, again another 3 walks away. We saw a few more bucks throughout the day. One buck in particular gave me a good chance. I spotted him feeding and he made his way over a ridge without us being spotted. Me and my dad went looking for him and never found him.
    That was the end of that day.

Day 2 Sept. 12
    Once again we were up bright and early only to head out into the miserable weather. This time my dad and 5spike decided to take separate vehicles. We were ahead of 5spike by about 10 minutes. His plan was to go and sit up on a bowl. (as we knew he would be driving up there in his trucked we planned to get a head start walking and then hitch a ride a little bit farther. We didn't get very far before he showed up. As planned we hoppped in and was driving when 5spike saw 2 deer run across the road. I jumped out and loaded a shell. They turned out to be does so I headed towards my dad who had also seen some different deer. 1 doe, 2 doe, 3 doe. All does. "ohh wait, there's a fourth"! "its a buck"! So I set up my shooting stick and took aim. "Wait 'till he stops. BANG! I felt good about that shot. Then he stopped and turned broadside at about 150 yards. I had only loaded one shell and was scrambling to get another out but I could not get the shell out of my pocket. Then of coarse, he started to walk. I finally got the shell out of my pocket and into the gun. I lined him up again and BANG! I lost him completely, but my dad said he hunched over and was hobbling around. (luckily my dad was following him) But then my dad lost him. He must of dropped, it was the only explanation. Then another buck stands up. this one might of been slightly taller and maybe more mass but my dad thinks he had smaller forks. We then started to to circle around around the small stand of trees we last saw him by. Not less than 50 yards in we found a shed. A very small 2 point. We kept on going and on the back side of the stand of trees (Just making sure he didn't sneak off) my dad spots a small fawn, about 6' away. As soon as my dad said a word it bolted. We Kept going. "look"! and there he was, about 10' away still alive. That deer kept so still facing away from us. We were not being quiet at all and there he was. I took aim and plugged him right between the ears. Hes not huge by any means but good enough for the first deer of the season.

Like my hat?

Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

Here's my addition:

Well not a huge story on this guy. I am pretty pumped up tho because its my best Island buck to date. The day started off with me and Jr. hiking into an area. We were hiking in on the road and were planning on making our way down to a creek before following the creek up and circling some old slashes inside the treeline. Well we were walking the road in while it was still dark and when we came around one of the final corners low and behold someone had beat us into the spot and was parked in the road. Well we were already walking and it is a large area so I decided to go up and speak to the driver to see what his plans were and maybe make a plan that works for both. Turns out he was a real good guy and he said he was planning on going a different direction than we were going so we all ended up walking together until we turned of at the creek and he went the other way. After walking the creek for a ways we cut over to the slash and were making our way over to a ridge we were going to sit on for awhile when I spot movement out of the corner of my eye. I look over and see a doe getting up out of its bed in the fireweed. Then I see it starting to run with another doe, then another doe..... 3 Does running..... So I do the logical thing and start scanning up ahead of them and I see this guy just dropping into a small gully. I immediately get set up on a stump and wait for him to come up out the other side which he will have to in order to get to the treeline he was headed for. Well after what seemed like an eternity he came up about 40 yards further up the gully but he was headed directly away from me and all I could see was @ss and head and it was getting further and further away (about 300 yards now). Finally he stopped and turned so that he was quartering away from me.

I lined up and let rip...... He started trotting away.... I missed!!! He was trotting away like all was fine. I kept the cross hairs on him and after he went about 25 yards he stopped again.. I couldn't believe it I was going to get another crack at him!!! Just as the cross hairs were falling into place again I watched as he tipped over! He was done.... I didn't miss after all Double lung at about 350 yards and he went about 25yards before tipping over.

A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

This bull was the final of 4 bulls in 6 days on our annual elk trip. In addition to that it was the second half of a double header with my son on his first elk. It died 5 minutes later and 300 yards from his bull thanks to some excellent calling from the hunting crew!

my measurements have him at 352 7/8 gross

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Last edited by pnbrock; 01-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.

okay sign me up! here's my entry

here's my story:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55691&highlight=early+season
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.