Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Fall Hunting contest- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!!!!!

Re: HBC Fall Hunting contest

Meat buck, 155 lbs dressed, one shot to the base of the skull as he tried to get out of sight and leave the hot doe he was chasing, taken Nov 16th in Kamloops area. Cut him up today, had a prime rib roast tonight, good tastin and tender full rut buck!!

Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Apparently this is the place to become a cool intraweb personality.

Here's my lonely addition to the contest -- a Reg 5 muley buck from earlier in the week. I'm not much of a story teller, as some of you already know. Here's the skinny...it was a frosty affair, but the cold had the deer out and about and rutting hard. Got this guy on the second day, on foot, but thankfully in the company of an excellent (and benevolent) friend that is also very handy with a packboard. -20 C with some wind at the time of the kill and pack out. Got him with my 338 RCM and 210gr TTSX's. My shooting was piss poor, but he ended up quite dead when it was all over, and all's well that ends well.

Last edited by Kody94; 11-26-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Meat doe, 140 lbs dressed, taken in area 5-3 on Nov 2. Great tasting and tender, chops are to die for. Had to pack her out over a km on the game cart to the truck.

Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

My entry and my biggest deer ever! ( so far )

Went out with my dad looking for a 4 point mule buck. We started walking and glassing and seen a couple does when all of a sudden this guy showed up behind them! He did'nt give us time to shoot but we watched where he went and then decided to circle around and try to beat him to where we thought he was going. On our way there we saw a doe so we set up and waited and it was not long before the other doe showed up with the buck behind her and I had a good shot so I took it and I got him!

I wrote a longer story here if you want to read it.

Last edited by Mio; 11-30-2010 at 08:11 AM.

i harvested him with my bow at 22yrds opening morning of late bow season in region 8. i turned down 3 bucks prior to deciding on him.
    no vegetables here

Just a reminder to please read the rules. SOme of the entries are not in compliance. If they aren't corrected they will be rejected as entries. Thanks
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Here's my entry.

My son had a few days off school just like everybody I guess so off we went hunting. Went into an area thats produced previously but one we had not been to this year yet.
    Parked the truck on the deactivated road and started hoofin. On our way down we crossed a series of good rubs. Duely noted. On our way back up we sidetracked into the timber just below the rub line. We managed to pick up the rub line in the timber and there was a couple of beauty rubs in there. 3-4" cedars freshly pounded with the piles of shavings at the base. The ones that get you really excited. Well about 80 yards from the last big rub we turned from the timber and headed onto a nice sunny rock bluff. I hear my son say "deer" ,up goes the gun and a quick Id says doe. A glance to the right and I see throat patch and bases behind the tree. As soon as I saw the bases it was saftey off and shoot it in the neck. The neck being the only shot available at the time.
    I really had no idea of how many points, he just had big bases. He stopped rolling at the tree he was hiding behind.

Heres a picture of my son with our deer.

My sons a pretty big kid so heres another picture of the deer on it's own just to give you some idea of how heavy the antlers are.

This was the first deer that my son and I have shot together might just have to get this one mounted.

Nov 28th was one year from the day when i took the youngster out and hooked up with his beauty biggest WT buck.
    this year i decided i was going to be on my own and sit in my treestand that had some huge potential. After the snows in the last week and and a bit it turned out that my stand was situated in a very good spot, i kinda already knew this from all the scouting and hunting in the last 5 years in the spot.
    i was hoping it would be the same and it surely was.
    last thursday i got to sit in my stand for about 5 hours, but the -25c got the better of me and i had to get out and walk to the truck for some warmth.
    Today however was different, just a -6c and snowing steady was the perfect temp and weather to get ready for the long haul and sit from daybreak to dark if i had to.
    as soon as i reached the stand and sat down i had 2 does come past in the first 5 minutes, boy oh boy i thought it was going to be a steady day, then by 9am nothing else had come through and i was a little discouraged, but i had to stay just looking at all the trails around my stand, at 10am a beauty 4x4 buck walked on through and i neglected to even pick up the bow on him as i was after one a bit bigger, but he was a nice one.
    right after him 10 minutes or so another one, same thing 4x4 down the trail and gone without even a sound.
    by 10:30am i had several good bucks pass in bow range and few just out of my range.
    then as i was trying to keep the snow from blowing in my face a couple more does trotted on by and then the buck came through a few minutes later.
    i trie to video him but he was gone so fast all i could do was grab my bow and hope he came my way. Well as i was peering through the tree in front of me i could see his legs appear, then the chest, then neck head and antlers.
    i guess thats the one i will take i thought, as soon as he started his walk towards me i had the perfect opportunity to draw, so i did, he came through and stopped at about 15yards behind the aspen trees in front of my stand, 30 seconds later he made the mistake and stepped out and took a few steps and thats where the arrow flew straight and true through both lungs and the heart. You just cant get a better shot with the bow. 9 yards paced off.
    after a brief track he was piled up some 60 or so yards from my point of impact.
    at that point my friend Rocksteady's phone was ringing and sure enough came to help me drag him out in the foot and a half of snow. Well close to it anyways. it took us 1 hour 15 minutes to drag him in a sled to the truck.
    thanks again Mike, would have been alot harder without ya!
    one pic here, more to come of the broadheads POI and the devastion the mechanical spitfires do!
    this buck was a serious scrapper, a 5x4 with lots of cuts. he also has a bullet wound that opened him up on the back of the neck,a very close escape, gave him a good flesh wound.

A perfect end to this years season.

I arrived at Tunkwa Resort in the early afternoon of Friday Nov 26 2010. Warmly greeted by Al, Rich, Joe and the dogs, my good friend and I checked into our accommodations and our home for the next 4 nights. We planned to spend the next 3 days hunting the area for Mule deer. Reports were good that the rut was in its final stages and that some decent bucks had been taken in the last week. We unpacked and headed out for a quick tour of the area just to see what things looked like.

We had been here exactly one month prior in the any-buck season to try and ensure some meat in the freezer this year. My friend took a very nice 2 point the second day and I missed a beauty on the last day. We had stumbled upon some very nice areas that week while exploring, this was our first year to the area and we spent many hours hiking into the bush away from the other hunters.

We decided that first night that we would return the next morning to a particularly excellent spot that we found previously. It was a cold morning, Saturday the 27th. We ventured out at first light, drove to the “spot” and began our hike at around 7:30.

The snow was very loud that morning being as cold as it was but it was otherwise perfect with about 3-4” of fresh stuff that had accumulated recently. After about half an hour I ran into a ton of good tracks that had been laid down the past couple of days. I found a fresh bed and some big tracks with fresh urine drops in them. For some reason I didn’t find any really good rubs and decided to continue to an excellent meadow area I had been to previously. I sat and watched this area while the sun rose and warmed me. I had a feeling I cannot explain that told me to double back and head to another meadow area above my current position on the next bench up. I headed there as quietly as possible, CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH!

As I approached the area, there was no wind and the forest was completely silent. It was picture perfect and surreal somehow. I stopped just before and to the side of the meadow behind 3 young fir trees. At the other end of the meadow was a hill with thick bush but three perfect lanes running up the side of that hill. Old skidder lanes I assumed.

I waited there 20 minutes or so. I caught a glimpse of movement about 3 quarters up the hill to my right. What was that? I waited, scanning as intensely as possible into the thick bush, my heart beating loudly in my ears. Again the silence was unreal. I waited for what seemed an eternity but was likely a minute or 2, up the first lane to my left a good size doe came out. My first instinct in my mind was "oh geez only a doe", but then I waited for the “follower”. Another few seconds passed and then he appeared! 1, 2, 3, 4 points, he was a beauty too! I took aim and 1 shot from my Weatherby crumpled him and he slid down the opening about 50 yards. There was no movement after he came to a stop. A perfect heart shot.

I was stunned but ready with another shell chambered. I walked a few steps and scoped the motionless body. I called my friend on the radio and screamed, “I got one”! Later my friend was to tell me that after he heard the shot he was reaching for his radio at the same moment I screamed thinking someone else was in the area and that we should be careful. He said he would make his way to me congratulating me. Then I ran! I ran as fast as my stubby 46 year old legs would take me. As I hit the bottom of the hill his smell hit me, whoa! I ran up the hill trying to keep good footing without slipping, zig-zag, zig-zag I went. As I came over the little rise where he laid my eyes must have enlarged to many times their normal size. He was BIG, and he had a beautiful large spread rack. I knelt at his face and picked him up by his antlers and stared into his eyes.

I must admit to getting a little emotional at this point while at the same time laughing out loud. I said to him, I got you, I got you! This was my best ever deer by a far margin. I thanked him for being there for me and told him that he would take a place on my wall and fill my freezer. I looked around me. The sun was blasting through the trees shining on both him and me. I cannot explain this story well enough for you to know what it was like for me or how I felt, words are just not enough.

The shot was measured at just over 125 yards uphill through a small window of opportunity. It was truly my honor to take this deer, I will always remember him and the moment we connected. It was as if time stood still and there was only me and him on this planet and that during those first few minutes with him I had no worries, no thought of anything else, only that he was perfect and that he was the perfect ending to the 2010 hunting season.

Cheers to a great season, and cheers to this tremendous buck. Now to get the cape and antlers to the taxi.

Final note for GH: was rough scored by the taxidermist at over 166 gross and 157 1/2 net. Plan on getting it re-scored after the mount is done.
    Last edited by weatherby_man; 12-30-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Add score info
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Here is my entry:
    & my first white tail

Well..... with two days left of the season (before returning to work)..Whent out with the bro in-law....at first light, driving down the road we see a nice little 4x4 i passed on him ? why im not sure..
    (was looking for more of a actuall hunt then just open the door and boom i guess.... i dont know?)
    Any ways get to our spot and go for a walk ..see a couple of does...more does.and then seen this guy. AT first we thought he was a small 2x3. After watching him for 30 min.... oh chit he's five on one side...and then.... he was having a nap in the snow..with the aid of 300 win mag....he was about 175 yrds
    Nov 27 2010 Boooo yaaaaaa

Last edited by brock77; 12-05-2010 at 09:20 AM.