Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Fall Hunting contest- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!!!!!

HBC Fall Hunting contest- UPDATED WITH WINNERS!!!!!

All entries must be BC wildlife.
    All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.
    All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Sept 10/2010
    All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. (No, we don't need GPS co-ordinates, just let us know what sort of terrain you were hunting, and how you hunted it, etc- This adds to the fun, and makes the contest more interesting) POSTING A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ABOUT YOUR HUNT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. You may copy and paste from your thread, but you MUST include a picture and short story on THIS thread.
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.
    COntest ends Dec 31/2010

Since this is a CONTEST thread, please keep comments/congrats to a minimum; : "Wow, Gatehouse, nice 2 point" is an example of an acceptable post..Eventually, such posts will get deleted in the interest of expediency. If you wish to discuss the animals, start other threads. No offence is meant, just it's hard to plow through pages of "nice buck" comments when I try to find entrants etc.

Questions will be answered on this thread.

I have had a number of people PM me over the last few months offering prizes. PLEASE PM ME AGAIN. I have been very busy and I've likely forgotten or misplaced your generous offers!

If anyone else would like to donate a prize, please PM me!

Categories will be sorted out once I have prizes sorted out. I'll link to the last contest for a sample of the categories

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24999

Some great prizes this year:

Blacktail has donated a custom made knife

Digger Dogger has donated a cat hunt in the Fraser Valley

VantagePoint Outfitters will put up a Selway Quiver for animal taken with traditional archery equipment

Fozzy has donated a Buck caping knife

SitkaSpruce has donated a one day fishing trip for two in 2011 or 2012 in Port McNeill. It will include boat, all bait, tackle, fuel, guide and safety equipment.

Bigfish Canada has donated this prize:

Omineca Source for Sports has donated a Youth Prize

Prizes to be assigned to categories in the near future. If you have a prize to donate and dont' see it listed here, PM me! I drink alot of beer and forget things easy! ha ha
    Last edited by Gateholio; 09-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HBC Fall Hunting contest

I'll start:
    Having chosen our destinations previously, we shut our eyes and tried to get as much rest as possible. 4 a.m. came quickly and we eagerly prepared ourselves and headed to our spots of choice. I decided on the same spot where I had harvested moose for the last 2 years, my "honey-hole". The plan was simple, Jay would enter one end of the area and I would enter the other, we would glass, walk and meet in the middle, probably around a 2 kilometre walk. I made my way on the quad trail (all the while protecting my face from being bashed and gashed by the now very overgrown branches), to a spot that I thought would be a good starting point. I dismount the quad and start shedding a couple of layers to ready myself for the hike through the area. At this point it is still very dark and I decide there is no point in walking if I can’t see, so I started looking around while my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I can just make out a dark mass about 300 yards away but quickly dismiss it as a stump, I’ve been known to mistake stumps as moose on more than one occasion especially the ones that look like they have antlers! I continue to stand around impatiently waiting for the sky to brighten. It’s finally starting to get lighter so I decide to check out that "stump" again, but this time I’m pretty sure it moved, I’m starting to get very fidgety now wanting the sun to shed some light on the situation, where’s the light?!! I patiently wait another 10 minutes or so and am now sure that it’s a moose! Now I’m saying to myself, it’s most likely a cow, to spot a bull at first light on opening day is just way to good to be true! Now I know it’s a moose but don’t have enough light to identify it as a bull, plus it has it’s head down feeding. It’s getting lighter now and I think I get a glimpse of an antler, I start shaking at this point, is it really a bull…… already? I’m getting nervous now thinking it’s going to notice me and take off, damn it’s still too dark. Finally!!! The sky brightens and sure enough it’s a bull! At this point I’m still shaking trying to calm myself and make a well placed shot, normally I don’t start shaking until after, but I had about 20 minutes of anticipation, which felt like hours.
    I line up the cross hairs just right, take a deep breath, let it out slowly and hold……………BOOM the 300 winmag lets out a mighty roar!! I lose sight of the bull because of the recoil and am frantically trying to get him back in the scope. I finally locate him and he’s now facing me just staring. Did I hit him? I keep a careful eye on him and he starts to wobble and over he goes. I still can’t believe it, opening day, first shooting light, a first for me!.

Me and my Moose, here's the link http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54469

Last edited by Spuddge; 09-07-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Adding Link
    "Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

And another:

Day7: It’s 4 p.m.,we have plenty of meat for all of us so were hanging around camp playing cards relaxing when we hear a thump from behind us near the trailer, I turn around and not 30 feet from us is a black bear with his front paws on the cooler, he must have caught scent of our dinner and wanted in on the action. I tell you, you’ve never seen a chubby guy like me get to his feet quicker! With four grown men standing in front of him, this bear had no intention of leaving, he seemed to have no fear of us at all! Grabbing a rifle was priority at this point and Lorne did just so, into the wall tent and grab the first rifle you see, which happened to be mine, he handed it to me and with one shot I cut my bear tag. This all happened very quickly and I think the moral of the story is to "always" have a rifle or shotgun at the ready when in bear country. He’s not a big bear by any means, around 5 ft, although the hide stretched is aroud 6. We hung the bear for the night and deboned him in the morning, now we definitely have enough meat.

Me with the bear and HBC hat

"Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you." (Genesis 9:3)

Here is my first for this year

Not much of a story, had my hunting party lined up to help and had it not work out come d-day. Went down solo and met up with a few from this site.

Glassed hard for 4 days only to see a couple of ewes. Then on the morning of day 5 hiked into an area we had been glassing to no luck and bumped into 3 rams, this guy was the better of the 3.Green score of 166 4/8.

Very happy as he is a beauty and is going to look great with my other critters.

Last edited by Bighorn hunter; 09-07-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Sounds good. Hopefully I'll get a chance to put in an entry this season.

Might be an idea to post a link to any separate threads you started? For those who might have missed them the first time around.

Feel free to delete.

Quote Originally Posted by demlake View Post
    Sounds good. Hopefully I'll get a chance to put in an entry this season.

Might be an idea to post a link to any separate threads you started? For those who might have missed them the first time around.

Feel free to delete.
    You can post a link to your thread and/or copy and paste the story from your thread, but you must include a short story and picture here on this thread. thanks
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

What is the time frame for when animals are taken? Is it after a certain date or will my sons spring bear be accepted into the contest? Just asking because it says "fall" contest
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Here's a pic of my ram. Shot on day 4 of our hunt. We stalked a band of 8 rams for over a km and nearly turned back a few times as we thought they busted us and took off, until we found them in a "last chance" box canyon. We quickly surveyed the situation and found a legal ram. From there it was a 75 yard shot and this guy was down for the count.

Some of the prizes so far:

one day fishing trip for two in 2011 or 2012 up here in Port McNeill.

It will include boat, all bait, tackle, fuel, guide and safety equipment.

All they need to provide is licences, snacks, drinks and accommodation in McNeill, which I can help them with.

Sitkaspruce

A buck caping knife to the contest prize table.
    Fozzy

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    What is the time frame for when animals are taken? Is it after a certain date or will my sons spring bear be accepted into the contest? Just asking because it says "fall" contest
    Spring bears have usually gone into a spring bear contest. We didn't have one this year though, I was too busy to put it together.

We will accept entries for this "fall" contest starting Aug 1, 2010, when the sheep season starts.

Hopefully I can do another for next spring bear season, we will see!