Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st game bird hunt

1st game bird hunt

I think I am a hiker first, then I became a hunter after practicing archery all summer.

As the summer wore off, I became more interested in going hunting than ever. Something I hadn't done in 20 years. During the summer, I hiked around 10 mountains in the Chilliwack lake area, and I began to see where the wildlife tend to be. Not a day I went that way that I didn't see anything: beaver, grouse, deer, bear . . . .

September 1st.
    Hunting season, yeah!!! I leave home at 6:45 and head for Mt Cheam/Lady Peak.

Just as I arrive near the parking lot, a fat grouse is waiting for me on the road, but by the time I get my stuff out, it flew away. After I parked, I start the long hike towards the shoulder of Lady Peak where I remember seeing ptarmigans. But I'm in luck as I walk up the trail, a grouse took off (thanks to my dog) leaving the other one within 20 ft from me. My heart is beating so hard (I know, it's only a grouse, nothing to get excited, but remember that I never killed anything with a bow). Judo point and whooosh, over the bird. 2nd Judo point, and same result. The bird is waiting patiently for me to hit it, my dog is ready to go and all I have to do is hit the the darn thing. I go with my snaro head and this I'm too low and the grouse takes off. I'm happy but also frustrated. My closes sight is for 50ft, which would explain the 2 high arrows, but the last one was a plain atrocious shot. Once I reached the top, I couldn't see anything because of the dense fog, so I went back that 2000ft down and called it a day.

September 2nd.
    Beautiful and clear day and within 1.5h from the parking lot, I'm on the Lady's shoulder. My luck seems better with the view as it is splendid. My dog quickly flushes out one ptarmigan and the chase is on. The biggest problem there is the rocks which are really hard on the arrows. I tried a few more with the Judos, but I have no luck. That's when I switched for the snaro (I was reluctant because I missed so badly the day before). Because these birds are so close( 20-30ft), using the 50ft sight with the snaro seemed to do the trick. So I spot yet another ptarmigan on the rock 30ft away, 10ft above me, in a really awkward position to shot. Pull the string, find my sight, and relax my fingers . . . swoosh and feathers everywhere! Whoo Hooo I race uphill to see my very first kill.

I got another one that day and called it a day.

September 3rd
    I thought that leaving early would mean that I'm the first one there. By the time I reached the parking lot, I was #3 - another bow hunter (big game) and a group of hikers that stayed over night. Nevertheless I was committed to have a good day. About 45 minutes from the parking lot, I was catching my breathe when I saw a flower moving, Hummm, no wind so lets investigate. I see one, then 2 oh, wait a minute 3 grouses. snaro, aim swoosh and bang. I decapitated the first one.
    Picked up my arrow, and aim for the 2nd one. This time, I managed to shot over it and it took off. Upon seeing this my dog went after it and scared 2 more. Ha well. I saw 6 more and shot once more. This time the snaro caught the tall grass and never reached the target.

That's it. I am officially a (not so good) bow hunter with 6000ft of elevation gain in 3 days. Still, I'm pretty stoked about the whole experience.

Now Lets have a look at the recipe forum.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1st game bird hunt

Thanks for sharing your hunt and the pictures.

Your seem to be doing great for the first time with a bow.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Bow Walker Guest

Stephane - good for you on your first meals. They're going to be very tasty.

Since you are shooting at such short distances with a pin that's set for longer distances you're going to have to sight your bow for those shorter shots or risk missing a lot more birds.

When your arrow leaves the bow it starts into a parabolic arc, so naturally your short distance shots are high misses. You are going to have to either aim low or sight a pin for 20 to 30 feet. That shorter distance pin will likely be lower than your 50 foot pin.

When shooting 3D there always seems to be one or two very close shots, like within 6 yards. Most people shooting compound bows have their short distance pin set to 20 yards. So shooting at a target that's less than 10 yards away can be very challenging.

I took the trouble to sight my bow for a shot that was reported to be 4 or 5 yards away (a little bird told me the distance before the 3D shoot). Well that sight mark turned out to be between my 60 and 65 yard marks on my yardage tape. Who'd have thought?!?

Point being that your going to have to sight a pin for your 20 foot shots and that pin will be below your 50 foot pin, which would seem wrong but will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    . . .
    Since you are shooting at such short distances with a pin that's set for longer distances you're going to have to sight your bow for those shorter shots or risk missing a lot more birds.

When your arrow leaves the bow it starts into a parabolic arc, so naturally your short distance shots are high misses. You are going to have to either aim low or sight a pin for 20 to 30 feet. That shorter distance pin will likely be lower than your 50 foot pin.

When shooting 3D there always seems to be one or two very close shots, like within 6 yards. Most people shooting compound bows have their short distance pin set to 20 yards. So shooting at a target that's less than 10 yards away can be very challenging.

I took the trouble to sight my bow for a shot that was reported to be 4 or 5 yards away (a little bird told me the distance before the 3D shoot). Well that sight mark turned out to be between my 60 and 65 yard marks on my yardage tape. Who'd have thought?!?

Point being that your going to have to sight a pin for your 20 foot shots and that pin will be below your 50 foot pin, which would seem wrong but will be OK.

Thanks Bow Walker,

I was starting with the issue that my shortest sight (50ft) was at the limit of the adjustment, and my archery guy, lets call him Wayne, is supposed to help by moving my lip tag (I know, not the proper term here) to lower my shot and get more adjustments. You probably noticed that my bow isn't the 2011 model too, but I love it and I have no intention of switching it to a new one, even if Wayne would like me to switch. Also, I will be switching to carbon arrows this month (hunting in the rocks sped up the timeline), which will make it even higher. So, back to the shooting range and work out those kinks.

Also, there is the issue of guessing the distance, which also needs some practice. I'll try what you suggested at the range this week and let you know.

Thanks again.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    Thanks Bow Walker,

I was starting with the issue that my shortest sight (50ft) was at the limit of the adjustment, and my archery guy, lets call him Wayne, is supposed to help by moving my lip tag (I know, not the proper term here) to lower my shot and get more adjustments. You probably noticed that my bow isn't the 2011 model too, but I love it and I have no intention of switching it to a new one, even if Wayne would like me to switch. Also, I will be switching to carbon arrows this month (hunting in the rocks sped up the timeline), which will make it even higher. So, back to the shooting range and work out those kinks.

Also, there is the issue of guessing the distance, which also needs some practice. I'll try what you suggested at the range this week and let you know.

Thanks again.

SG
    Wayne will be back in town soon enough... I have herd from a source that he has had a successful trip already!!!

I find that he is very good about getting stuff in but he is so busy you literally have to wait for him to do it!

Good shootin'!

Dutchie

Bow Walker Guest

Guessing the distance - or yardage estimation - is the bane of all bow hunters! It can be the death of you, or it can make your day.

Take in a few 3-D shoots. It's great practice for "Guesstimation". Or, just do some stump shooting and practice estimating the distances like that.

What a great way to get yourself into this forum!

Great thread, great pic's.
    Dont know nothing about bow hunting though
    keep it coming

Bow Walker Guest

Time to give it a try 835...

Ain't nothin' quite like it.

I did shoot a cross bow this weekend for the first time!
    Havent shot a bow in YEARS though!