Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Missing in Spatsizi

Re: Still Missing in Spatsizi

This is a very tragic story with no closure.
    There are guys on the ground every fall that have their eyes open for any clue that might still explain what happened to Tom Leonard.

Please watch and share. I really need to get my husbands story out there. 16 years has been way too long for nothing to be found. If you or know anyone going to Spatsizi please keep an eye out for anything.
    The girls and I are asking for your help to bring Tom home.

16 year long search for MISSING HUNTER! - YouTube

So, first off I have forward to all on my FB site.

I have watched the video (excellent job!)
    I have a question or 2, if someone could help out?

He took his quad.
    Was that ever found? was it with his truck? or had he left it elsewhere. (at the round 2 trip)?
    Also, he never took his 2nd round of food (as it was found in the truck), so issue happened in the first 10 days appr.

So, the last question is, what was the weather during this 10 days or so? was there heavy snowfall during that time?
    (i know there was during search, but what about his timeline and conditions)
    I only ask because i almost lost myself after falling into a huge snow drift that sat upon a juniper bush and if not for a friend,
    i may never have gotten out)
    Also ask (and i have never been there so dont know the terrain) because if there was heavy snow, is it possible to have fallen
    into a hidden rock crevasse?
    (which if so, most hunters avoid on their hunts and never look into)

Sorry, dont mean to sound morbid, but we know the outcome isnt good but we all want closure for the family and his body
    brought home.

Lastly, did anyone have direct contact with him before this hunt that may have given him some areas "to check out"?
    Meaning a spot or 2 to "hit first".
    Does anyone recall back then "where the sheep were hanging" that season?? (I know it is a stretch to remember).

Only asking because if someone gave him some areas to hit or tips/advice or had he seen sheep, this would be the 2 areas to
    look at first.
    Obviously the ram creek sounds like a lead.

Also, if anyone has leads, call the rcmp, but i would also say contact the family.
    The family will have the facts and if there is some similarities or coincidences, they would know if someone reports new info.
    No stone too small to help this family!
    Anything, albeit insignificant could help.
    A lighter, old wrappers, anything in there!

Thank you so much for taking the time and watching the video.

To answer your questions, yes the quad and the truck were found together at the Eagle Nest Trail Head. Yes there was a storm that hit Spatsizi day 3 or 4 of Tom's trip. I believe it may have been a snow storm. Tom talked to coworkers before he left about making a loop and then heading back to his truck for the next 10 days of food. What loop he meant I am not sure. The RCMP/search and rescue interviewed the coworkers but I am not sure what was said.

What we have stated in the video is all the facts that we know of. If I could go back in time trust me I would have asked a lot more questions from him. I know Tom always had a well thought out plan before he left for any trip. However, plans change when you are there. What he said before he left he may have changed when he arrived and started scoping for sheep.

Your questions are always welcome so please don't stop asking them. I will answer as much as I can.

Thanks for filing in some of the blanks.
    Also, don't blame yourself for the questions you asked then and the ones you wished you asked now.
    Hunters are a different breed.
    We are more than hikers, and certainly not rock climbers.
    Hikers get lost, rock climbers take falls.
    Hunters are somewhere in between when hunting/searching for game, and in Toms case, sheep.
    Sometimes as hunters we avoid a route due to the extreme terrain normally, but throw a ram in there and suddenly we are doing
    something we wouldn't other wise do.
    At least with his quad and truck still there, at least it supports that there wasn't a nefarious force at work which i am sure lingers
    in the back of minds.
    The fact that there was bad weather more likely supports that it was conditions that led to some choices to be made.
    Again, I don't know the terrain, but i have seen how weather can change the terrain and things that can happen when it does.
    I walked over a spot that i thought was barren ground, but wasn't, and fell into a hole beside a bush.
    And bad conditions can make one seek out a spot that is extremely hidden, from the element's, and that too can make it hard
    to be found.
    I know many think of him, and the few that go up there do always consider him when they are out there.
    If the conditions were bad, the terrain could look very different and he ventured into somewhere where under a normal day,
    all hunters/hikers would generally avoid and would explain why he has not been found.
    Recently i have seen several clips on people who left their home, taking their car, either for a short trip or a longer road trip and
    never be seen of again, and everyone wonders what happened.
    Years later, they found these people, their cars, and realized they just went off the road and into water and no one was around
    to witness it.
    I don't say this to be upsetting but to give you and your family hope that there will be answers one day.
    And that no one in your family blames themselves for feeling they never did enough or had done it differently.
    Tom obviously went to do something he was passionate about.
    Last thing he would ever want to see is you or ones in your family circle blaming yourselves for not having done enough.

For others reading and who do find themselves up there in Spatsizi, do consider Tom, and if time allows, take that little walk over
    to the left or right from where you would normally consider walking.
    Who knows what conditions and circumstances he was facing at that time.

For Tom's family, i wish you all to keep the faith he will be found and that peace can properly enter your lives.
    I think the family truly deserves that after all this time.

Any updates?... I read that there was a search recently???

Good podcast episode on the Wild Sheep Society BC channel about the search this year and plans for next year:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...=1000537926026

There is a go fund me page now to help pay for the search

https://ca.gofundme.com/f/Help-Searc...a055589788a142

Happy New Year Everyone!
    The plans for the search are well underway and there will be lot’s of discussion and promotion coming to help raise funds for the search for Tom. Hats off to Joey and the Terrace SAR for taking the lead. Kyle and the folks at WSSBC are doing some amazing things to help get this search going as well.

I decided to donate a rifle to the cause and WSSBC is launching the raffle today. I commissioned my good friend and master gunsmith Gary Flach to build a beautiful custom. It’s based on a t3 action, IBI 20 inch spiral fluted mtn lite with Gary’s brake, chambered in 6.5 PRC. Wildcat ultralight stock with Gary’s negative comb , topped with a Leica amplus 6,3-18x44i from Omer at Precision Optics.
    Please do your part and buy some tickets, let’s find Tom!

https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/raffle/

Good Luck and thanks to all!
    Chuck
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Any idea on dates for this search. I’d like to try and take part if I can swing it. It’ll be hard for me to set time aside, but if I know in advance it’ll be easier.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.