Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peep Troubles

Peep Troubles

Hello everyone, Been having troubles keeping my peep in line. I got the one that has the string on two sides of it and just doesn't want to twist all the way open for me to get the full view out of it. Not to crazy about the peep that is attached to the rubber band to line it up. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you fix it?? I have been told that a new, better string will fix this problem. Will it??? And yes if I change my strings, I'll change my cables. My bow is two years old and has the original stock set on it. If it matters its an AR 34. Can anyone help me out with this frustrating situation?? Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Peep Troubles

If set set your peep with a good set of stringes it should come around every time. Sometimes you have to take strands from one side of your peep and move it to the other but once set it should stay. I would say get a new set of strings.

I was in Hawaii for a hunt and was having a lot of trouble with my bow. After missing some shots and getting very frustrated, I took it to a tech who got it shooting better but I still was not getting consistent groups.

When I got back I noticed the peep was F'd up. I did some research on how to eliminate the peep or at least get a better system for consistent sighting and this is what I ended up with:

http://www.hindsightco.com/hs/Default.htm

This little item is amazing! It allows you to line up the to the pins EXACTLY and then choose your distance. It works perfectly everytime and allows you to shoot earlier in the morning and later at night.

Try it. You'll love it!

Regards,

Triggerman

Triggerman,
    Where did you end up buying the hindsight? I wanted to get one but I couldn't find a dealer here in the granola bowl. I don't love the peep sight myself, and I am doing ok with just a front sight, but I could do better. Hind sight (lol as always) seems to be the answer

Bow Walker Guest

Exclamation Re: Peep Troubles

quote:[My bow is two years old and has the original stock set on it.]quote:

3Dbwmn....change the string right away! Two years shooting on the original string is more than enough. Much more. Most bowhunters/3D'rs will change the string and the cable every 12 - 18 months, depending on how much you shoot including practise, competition, and/or hunting. I seriously suggest changing the whole set - right away.

Check around, ask those in the know and get a reliable/reputable string maker to make you a set. If you were on the Island, it would be no contest - West Coast Archery makes strings and cables that DO NOT stretch or creep.

Even so, once you get the new set on your bow, shoot a 100 - 150 arrows to settle it in. Then get your peep adjusted by Mike at Speciality Shooting Sports. It is worth the effort.

Having the peep rotate properly every time you draw your bow is crucial.

Hope this helps you in your dilemma.

Dan.

Bow Walker Guest

By The Way 3D bowman.......
    You have said that you have a new AR 34? How do you like it?? I have been licking the screen on my computer when I go to their website. That is one of the bows on my short (very short) wish list for when I have way too much money to think about spending.

It is high on my priority list - but a tad lower on "she-who-should-be-obeyed" list.

Got a pic of your setup? If so, do you mind posting it here?

nother peep question. mine popped out. is there a way it can be put back in without a bow vise?
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Bow Walker Guest

If you separate the strands without using a bow press of some sort (maybe a portable one) you run the risk of fraying one or more of the strands. Not good.

Invest in a portable bow press and save yourself a whole lot of trouble and problems.

Good luck.................Dan.

Hey BowWalker, Well in breif, I Love It!!! The AR34 is an awesome bow. I have not shot alot of other bows, but it sure was nicer to shoot then the Hoyt I did shoot. The AR34 is quiet, very little, if any vibration and extemely forgiving. My one issue with it is the grip. I found it to narrow, well really there is nothing there. Two pieces of 1/8" slivers on the stock thats just over 3/4". Personally i need more. I've been looking for a grip. Do you know where I can look? I built a make shift one now but needs lots of work yet. I talked to a guy in Saskatoon but, he wants my bow and to tell him what grip i've found and then he'll build it?? Well if I found a grip then I'll just buy it and put it on and not get him to copy it and not have my bow for about two weeks and maybe loosing it in transit. No no. Other then the grip issue for me the bow is incredibale. I don't have a picture of my bow but I will work on it and post it. Stay tuned.

3d
    Last edited by 3d bowman; 04-28-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Bow Walker Guest

Red face Re: Peep Troubles

Not to hi-jack this thread but.............

3d....you might want to try wrapping your grip in that Sims Navcom stuff so that you can thicken it and put some heft into your hand. This way you can shoot comfortably and maybe when you are confident you can unwrap a layer or two to get used to the "proper" thickness of the grip as set by the bow company.

After all, we know that the "companies" did their due diligence by reasearching and testing to find the "proper" grip thickness for the most consistent shooting - right?

I worked to get used to the smaller, thinner grip on my first compound bow a PSE, which was a drastic change from the one that I learned to shoot with when I took lessons - way back in the beginning.

It took a bit of patience to accomplish but it was worth the effort in the long run......and if there is one thing for sure it is that I am in this for the long run.

Try to get used to your skinny grip. It will benefit you in the long run as well.

Also. I will wait patiently for pics of your setup. I am looking at the AR 31 as an alternate bow - hopefully I can aford to keep my Martin when and if I acquire the AR.

In the meantime I will trade you pics of bows - here is mine.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 06-05-2006 at 08:25 AM.