Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .303 Enfield Magazine

.303 Enfield Magazine

Does a 10 shot Enfield magazine have to be plugged for hunting? I had a discussion with a guy some time ago, and he insisted that the mag had to be plugged.

I have only hunted with shotguns since moving to Vancouver Island, but I am thinking of venturing out with my old No 1 this fall. I fired it for the first time in 20 years last winter!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .303 Enfield Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by GrullaGuy View Post
    Does a 10 shot Enfield magazine have to be plugged for hunting? I had a discussion with a guy some time ago, and he insisted that the mag had to be plugged.

I have only hunted with shotguns since moving to Vancouver Island, but I am thinking of venturing out with my old No 1 this fall. I fired it for the first time in 20 years last winter!
    NO !, the SMLE Lee Enfield .303 magazine does NOT fall under the magazine restrictions applied to other fire arms, 10 shots aboard ,no problem!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Why do they distinguish between one rifle and another? Is it because it is bolt action and not semi-automatic?

Q7. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?
    A7. As set out in Criminal Code Regulations, some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:
    • 5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or
    • 10 cartridges for most handgun magazines
    A large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.
    There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

From the CFP website, so if you wanted to belt feed your SMLE then have at'er

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Hmmm,

Years ago, I bought some cloth Vickers machine gun belts with .303 ball in them. Used the ammo and threw out the belts. What a shame.

I suspect why the 303 mag has not be deemed to large is that that rifle is still being used by our military by the "ranger" elements. And that in the far north the "ranger" elements use them for other activities than protection of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by GrullaGuy View Post
    Hmmm,

Years ago, I bought some cloth Vickers machine gun belts with .303 ball in them. Used the ammo and threw out the belts. What a shame.
    Damm, cause that would make for a good photo op , although most people wouldn't enjoy packing a full belt of ammo on their hunt

Last edited by 303Brit; 08-30-2010 at 10:43 AM.
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFuturehunters View Post
    I suspect why the 303 mag has not be deemed to large is that that rifle is still being used by our military by the "ranger" elements. And that in the far north the "ranger" elements use them for other activities than protection of our country.
    From what I have seen the only mag restrictions with regards to hunting in BC, that are more restrictive than the ones outlined by the CFP are to do with Shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFuturehunters View Post
    Nothing to do with the rifle being used by the Rangers. The 5 round magazine limit applies to center-fire semi-automatic rifles.

That's why I can have 25 round mags for my Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto rimfire) and can have a 9 round magazine for my Savage 11F (bolt-action center-fire).

The only centerfire semi-automatic that is exempt is the M1 Garand. Then of course there is the LAR-15 magazines (10 round .223 mags designed for the AR-15 pistol) that can be legally used in semi-auto rifles (AR-15, Robinson Armaments XCR, Tavor, etc.) Gotta love the loop holes in the Firearms Act.
    Last edited by homer76; 08-30-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Howdy, i know your supost to have it pined for 5 shells in the mag same as shotguns. i beleve if your Bear hunting or Cougar hunting your aloud slugs and taking out the tube. if Convo ketches you without the plug & bird shot your ****ed. has to be Slug And/Or Double 00 ??????? some one please corect me if im wrong.