Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bear gun

bear gun

just wondering is a 3030 powerful anough for black bear with 160 grain lever evoloutions.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bear gun

30-30 with a 130 grain bullet will work fine at shorter ranges. Ideally though you would want something in the .270, 30-06 or even a 7mm.

If a 30-30 is all you have got than it will do just fine as long you do not try to get a bear way out there.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Black Bears are wimps.
    "ETCOOMS"

A 30-30 is just fine.
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra

Not my first choice but if you don't get much over 100yds and place your shot really well, it will do. I wouldn't go picking on any real monsters with it though. Be prepared for a quick follow up shot and keep shooting until it's down.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Hell yes! I prefer my 300 win mag, but a 30-30 will kill em! Just put the shot in the right place! Moosin

A well placed shot will do the trick but you dont have alot of room for error.

Northern BC, wherever gas in the truck will move me

Like everyone else is suggesting, the cartridge will certainly do the job with proper shot placement and within its ballistic limitations.

That being said, there are far more suitable cartridges with longer reaches and greater clout. In fact, there are a number of inexpensive 30.06 rifles on the market that would provide both the opportunity for further shots as well as greater confidence in "killing power".

Depending on your timeline and finances, I would recommend upgrading cartridge sizes...

I would really hate to make the decision to pass up a great shot simply because of my rifles limitations.

..."I wish I had my ____ here..."

Or to the next degree, I would really hate to take the shot and have it not do the job for the same reason...
    Last edited by Dukeoflawnchair; 09-09-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Like everyone say's within 100 yds no problem. My Dad has shot many bears and moose with his.

i have i 270 but no time to sight it in yet so if i dont get anything i will sight it in and use it later in the season