Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanguard package deal?

Vanguard package deal?

Hi guys,

I was just looking at the Weatherby vanguard synthetic package deal in 30-06 or .308. Comes with a Banner 3-9x40 bushnell scope, sling, and case. I was also looking into the new Marlin XL7 in 30-06 or the Remington 700 sps base model, synthetic, blued and in 30-06.
    Just wondering what some of you guys think is the better rifle? Not to fond of the the weight of the Vanguard at 7.5lbs, the Marlin is 6.5lbs and the rimington is 7 1/4lbs. I'm not overly fussed about weight as I'll be only really using it for hunting blacktails, but I don't really want to be lugging around a tank in the bush.

No matter what rifle I go with I'll be putting on a Luepold VX-I 3-9x40 or Bushnell 3200 3-9x40.

Any info on these rifles would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx everyone
    First--Know the land-know your prey.

2. Site Sponsor

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Re: Vanguard package deal?

Just buy one and be happy about it....
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

Have a look at a Savage as well. They are incredibly accurate right out of the box. I looked at the Vanguard before I picked up the Savage- thought it was too heavy and 'clunky'.....If you are going to be replacing the scope anyways, save the $ at the beginning and stay away from any package deal.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post
    Have a look at a Savage as well. They are incredibly accurate right out of the box. I looked at the Vanguard before I picked up the Savage- thought it was too heavy and 'clunky'.....If you are going to be replacing the scope anyways, save the $ at the beginning and stay away from any package deal.
    How do you find the recoil of the Savage? The .270 I shot kicked like a mule, it didn't have any added recoil pad other than what came stock.

Thanx for your input
    First--Know the land-know your prey.

I would concurn about not puting out any extra for a pkg deal, as chances are you will want differant bases and rings and the sling isnt all that.
    All this considering I know own three Vangaurds in .223,257Wby Mag and 30:06. Buy the plain one and put what you like on it.
    It even comes with a trigger lock and a three shot target that should give you some confidence in what the gun is capable of. I would also suggest you buy it in person that way you should be able to get the one with the best target and they have the serial number from the gun it was shot with...so not to worry they might be massed produced.
    Enjoy what ever you decide to buy.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Plincker View Post
    How do you find the recoil of the Savage? The .270 I shot kicked like a mule, it didn't have any added recoil pad other than what came stock.

Thanx for your input
    Compared to my buddy who has a Vanguard as well, I thought the Savage was about the same.
    Where you are saving $ on not getting the package deal, put $35-40 into a recoil pad
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Dont go for the package deal, the scopes are junk and you will end up replacing them down the road. I would recommend buying one of the rifles you listed and putting a decent scope on it. Leupold vx-I are nice, bushnell 3200's are nice and cheaper!! And I would look at vortex optics, in the price range your looking for I would check out the diamondback or crossfire, cross fire is cheap and still nice glass. For the rifles, remington 700 are nice, the marlin xl7 are awsome and cheap, not for long though prices are going up. I would grab a marlin xl7 if you can find one, but stay away from the package deals!!

Currently I shoot a Wheaterby Vanguard .270 and found to be a very accurate gun out of the box. In the past I have owned and shot Remington and Savage and was happy with them too. I recommend that you go to a store and handle as many different guns to find the one that fits and suits you best.

As has been said, package deals look good but you WILL end up having to replace things. I was lucky with my Vanguard, also a package deal, it came with a good quality scope but I needed to change the mount and purchased an additional padded sling. The weight of a rifle never bothered me much. In fact I prefer the heavier to the lighter guns. Heavier guns absorb more of the recoil.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Plincker View Post

Thanx for your input
    Did you really find the 270 kicked like a mule? Cause I have fired the savage in 270, and there was not much felt recoil at all?? A 30'06 will give a little more kick, so if you are worried about recoil, put on a recoil reducer pad, it will save you from flinching and pulling your shots! Moosin

I own a savage package (camo) in .270 and it is great. Got it with the accutrigger and it is LIGHT. shoots really well and doesn't kick bad at all with ramped up rounds. I think Ominica is selling them for like 549 or something. buy one and if you have some issue with it buy another gun in a year or so. Then you'll have 2
    Honey Holes! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that is all