Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "dink rams"

"dink rams"

This term has been used on here to describe unacceptable, although legal, sheep. What is an acceptable ram for the sheep hunters on here? And what is a "dink ram". Is it based on age, horn curl, horn length or B&C score. Thanks guys.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "dink rams"

A seasoned sheep hunter usually looks for age more then lenght for a trophy,

Most guys would call a 6-7 year old 'just' full curl ram a 'dink ram'.

It also depends on where your at in your sheep hunting career. If you have shot lots of nice rams over the year why would you want to shoot a smaller ram thats young????

But at the end of the day IMO as long as the animal is legal the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Definately within the eye of the beholder. Any legal Ram is a trophy in my opinion.....!

I agree with Rodd. Theres too many high and mighty hunters hiding behind their keyboards. I've made comments about one small deer that had been shot but it was tiny. Sheep hunting is hard so if I ever bring a ram home I'll be happy with my trophy and if all you can think about is dinks then this might be the wrong forum for you.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

I would say it depends on the size of one's dink I guess.....

Where I usually spend my summers it's mostly an age thing. A 6-7 yr old full curl is a dink and makes for sadness. But a guide also gets some ribbing for shooting a ram 33 or 34 inches unless there is some significant brooming.

Any ram under 8 years old should be left on the mountain to grow and live a little. If the ram is mature (over then the rest is up to the individual. I personally have left several legal rams on the mountain and I have yet to pull the trigger. I want a 8+ year old ram or I will go with out. I am sure I have also left some that were over 8 where I could not be certain and they were not over the nose. Better to be safe than sorry.

And for those who have killed a ram of any size, why go and shoot one smaller than you already have? Once I get that ram on the wall, it may be my last unless I keep finding bigger ones.

Can not wait to see Willy answer this one!

we for me if its over the bridge he goes down
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

I've yet to harvest a ram in 6 attempts.

I've been within shooting range of a few full-curl 7 year olds, and a 9 year old ram with a pretty scrawny set of horns. Never had an urge to shoot. This year was the first time I've seen a ram that I wanted - a 10 year old that would have went 37-38'' and good bases. Didn't work out for me, but that's the kind of ram I want and will keep looking.

That said, I'm not gonna look down on a guy for taking the first legal ram he sees. I know the amount of work put in to even get yourself in a position to take a ram, so by all means pull the trigger if you want. You'll have your ram, good memories, and a sack full of the best meat you can find.
    Last edited by BromBones; 08-25-2010 at 02:13 PM.

I have yet to hunt sheep , but after I get a goat, thats next on the list.

And when that happens, the first legal one is going down!!