Thread: freighter canoes vs full inflatable Zodiac

freighter canoes vs full inflatable Zodiac

good afternoon

So as usual i have spent my sunday afternoon lurking here on HBC and reading old posts and doing searches. I have thought alot about getting an aluminum boat in the 18-20 foot range and the places i could access with it for camping in the summer to hunting in the fall.

I even almost bought CNC boat plans from specmar. i then thought about the build time or even the time and matainance on a complete boat. I feel it would complicate my life and be another financial burden which would take me away from family and doing the things i originally want said boat for.

This has led me to thinking about a freighter canoe or a fully inflatable Zodiac. i know verry little about either and am not very experienced on any type of water(i have a my gramps 10' fiberglass cartopper).

I live in the lower mainland and would want to potentially use either for maybe up indian arm, pitt lake, allouette, maybe harrison, maybe the fraser or even bodies of water being lakes or rivers that i am unfamiliar with. I would like to use this also for getting to trail heads for hiking and hike in hunting.

What are the pros and cons of either craft. i will need room for myself, wifey and dog plus gear. i have no prob with being cozy or a little wet.

Please educate me

Thanks

fuzzy
    Last edited by fuzzy; 08-22-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: this and that

2. Site Sponsor

Re: freighter canoes vs full inflatable Zodiac

don't know about the zodiac But I've got a 19' grumman freighter canoe with a 6hp outboard and it moves along pretty good,I think the long waterline and narrow beam has something to do with it.

how versatile do you find this canoe? such as capacity and how rough of water you can safely travel in? i am trying to get a feel for what i can and cant use these two different types of boats for.

thanks

fuzzy

It all depends on the operator. I've seen morons sink and flip boats on glass calm days, and I've seen some pretty rough weather in small craft. And thanks to my dad I have all seen very rough water from a canoe. Both on lakes and in rivers.

I am currently looking for the freighter, I find it simpler, I did a boat in trip last year with my dad and another member on here, I would do it again, but take the canoe, par down the gear a bit. Its fast as hell with a small motor, can take a huge load, and I've paddled up rivers with a canoe, and driven up them in a prop boat, I'd rather a canoe with a motor and thats why I am looking for a nice 18'-19' square back canoe. But thats just what I say now, we'll see after I have a chance to use one on a hunt.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    how versatile do you find this canoe? such as capacity and how rough of water you can safely travel in? i am trying to get a feel for what i can and cant use these two different types of boats for.

thanks

fuzzy
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

saved by mistake see next post.
    Last edited by ultramafic; 08-23-2010 at 09:15 AM.

FUZZY

I have a 14 foot inflatable made by mercury. It has the fabric bottom and inflatable keel but is still kind of heavy. Needs two to lift it when rolled up and all the floor boards out. Two very strong to lift when assembled or three would be better.

It is however the most stable boat I have ever been in and with the inflatable sections unless you have some sort of hole or failure in all three of the large sections at the same time I dont think it would sink even if it was full of water.

The interior space can seem limited due to the size of the pontoons but you can pile it high and strap/tie equipment down.

The hypalon fabric is very tough... I have run mine up (lightly of course) on beach rocks full of barnacles and only scuffed the surface of the fabric. Same on the fraser onto fishing bars regularly beach it there too.

I use it regularly for fraser fishing cause it only needs a foot and a half of water to move under power ( slowly ) two feet on plane as long as you know its not going to get shallower on you.

I have had it full of 5 adults going up stream on plane in the fraser river current near chilliwack with a 25 hp 2 stroke merc. so it can move pretty good. Once had three adults and a lot of heavy camping gear in the same area no problems.

I can deflate it and it goes into two strapped bags one for the rollled up boat and the other for the floor boards. Total is around 300 pounds I think but each bag will require two to lift say into a pickup. The motor is extra weight. The bags could be stacked in a full size pickup box easily.

From bags to water under power with a high volume pump my wife and I have put the boat in the water in less than 45 mins. However I now have a trailer for it and do not take it apart very often.

I do not have a lot of recent experience with aluminum boats so really cannot compare too well for you.

If you have any thoughts or questions let me know..

mike

Used a 10' zod all over the place works great. Super light, can fit in a plane or the back of the car. Hauled moose and deer in it down rivers and lakes. Used it in the Fraser for fishing. Paddled it and pushed it with a motor. Can't say enough good about it really. The floor leaks is the only problem. Has the inflatable keel and floor boards.

This ones getting worn out, will probably get a 12' or better next time.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

thanks for all the replies and detailed info, i appreciate it when i will potentially be making a substantial purchase in the near future. If anyone else has anything to add i am all ears.

thanks

fuzzy