Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Re: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Good on you Stoneslinger, I have been fortunate enough to be in contact with "Deaddog" this year. He has been absolutely awesome in helping me to plan my first ever Sheep hunt this year in around the Moose lake area you mentioned. Only a few sleeps left....... can't hardly wait.
    Thanks to all you die hard sheep hunters for being so helpful, I just wish everyone was so nice. Hope I get the opportunity to help one of you guys out one day.
    Patiently waiting here on my roof for the mob of Zombies. Can't wait!!!

Another option is to contact Kevin Willis with Riverjet Adventures..exellent jet boats for the Muskwa and Tuchodi and ???He is very river safe and knowlegable and can get you up the river and into the sheep areas..he is a "transporter" but is in these mountains daily for 4-5 months a year..

reliable, trustworthy honest gentleman...certainly cant go wrong back in his neck of the woods..

cheers
    Steven

i will add a couple more locations..with some lakes GPS'D out..

The ONLY stone sheep location I cant or will not give out is where I shot my 2009 ram..its how kevin makes his living ...and I am sure he is taking other hunters and dropping them off in the general location..as well as even better areas..

great idea,

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 08-23-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    Hunt were the outfitters hunt and you will be successful

I think you are on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneslinger View Post
    Ask him to take you to Beckman Creek.
    Horses required:

Go to the old York camp on Gathto Cr: 58deg 05' 32" x 123deg 46' 19" and hike north up the small valley just to the west of camp, go over a small pass and drop down into Beckman Cr (about 6 or 7 miles). Cross Beckman Creek and ride up to the three little foothills (about 2 miles) on the east side of the trail. Hunt both sides of this valley.

Go up Gathto Cr. past the Big Nine headquarters to the old abandoned WWII airstrip at approx 58deg 00' 40" x 124deg 20' 34", go halfway down the airstrip and pick up a horse trail that takes one over the ridge (steep and slippery when wet) to the north and down into Stern Creek (north fork of Gathto), proceed up Stern Cr to approx 57deg 59' 49" x 124deg 26' 22" and hunt both forks of the valley that runs in from the north at that location (good trail).

Resident hunters are not utilizing their sheep allocation. If they did it would not hurt the sheep populations if the AAH is sustainable, if not it might scare MOE into revising their AAH more to realistic levels which would result in revised non-resident quotas.
    Last edited by 6616; 08-23-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    Is there any info on the Liard River Corridor park access? It looks like another trail to get to the sheep mountains.
    Ckeck here for general information:
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...liard_rv_corr/

One of the trips on my todo list has been to run down the Toad and hunt both sides. Very good chance to be visited by a griz and to go home with a giant moose. You still have to do lots of walking but you are in a wildlife wonderland. I wont say where to launch a boat. Easy to figure that one out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ufishifish2 View Post
    Good on you Stoneslinger, I have been fortunate enough to be in contact with "Deaddog" this year. He has been absolutely awesome in helping me to plan my first ever Sheep hunt this year in around the Moose lake area you mentioned. Only a few sleeps left....... can't hardly wait.
    Thanks to all you die hard sheep hunters for being so helpful, I just wish everyone was so nice. Hope I get the opportunity to help one of you guys out one day.
    Back in the 80's one of the local natives used to take hunters to the far end of Moose Lake by boat.

Now, now don't be stingy with the info or protective of a person making a living off of the wildlife resources of this province. He will always have customers regardless. Hunters are strange. They like to flock to areas where bruisers are already dead. A very priviliged business for sure.

Lots and lots of fine resident sheep hunters have intimate knowledge of the Muskwa sheep hunting spots. Lots of us have been running that river and hunting those places. Your spot was a good spot for you. Lots of those up that way for people that care to make the time, take the trip and burn the fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Another option is to contact Kevin Willis with Riverjet Adventures..exellent jet boats for the Muskwa and Tuchodi and ???He is very river safe and knowlegable and can get you up the river and into the sheep areas..he is a "transporter" but is in these mountains daily for 4-5 months a year..

reliable, trustworthy honest gentleman...certainly cant go wrong back in his neck of the woods..

cheers
    Steven

i will add a couple more locations..with some lakes GPS'D out..

The ONLY stone sheep location I cant or will not give out is where I shot my 2009 ram..its how kevin makes his living ...and I am sure he is taking other hunters and dropping them off in the general location..as well as even better areas..

great idea,

Steven

Yedhe Creek, Tensi Creek, Magnum Mine all easily located and within range of the Highway are full of trophy Rams. My first trip up(NEVER HAVING BEEN UP THERE BEFORE) I did as much research as possible before hand, and the above locations were my choice, and planned accordingly, only once I got up there, I decided before heading out for 10 days, I was going to glass what I could see from the highway. I never have actually been back into the areas mentioned above as I had planned. I have been up there twice, and been fortunate enough to kill 4 Rams(partner and I). All the Rams were seen and stalked from the highway.... Just my two cents worth... Don't overlook any of those hills!!!! Cuz ya never know when the Big ones will show themselves... Talked to several Resident Hunters that had been up there hunting for a couple of weeks with no success, and they said they only seen non-legal rams?? Within an hour of talking to them I spotted a band of 13 Rams of which 7 were for sure legal?? Stalked and killed 2.... So GLASS GLASS GLASS!! and they all arn't necessarily in the alpine..... Good Luck to All Residents!

Tim and I went in the Magnum mine rd..seen sheep everyday...and a bull elk that just didnt fulfill the legal requirements..
    Sheep were just accross the creek ,,, a couple rams came right down to the lake..

I updated my first post to include GPS location of our camp spot...true we didnt shoot a stone but seen sheep daily and did shoot 2 fine caribou one that was around 400..believe it was 397 and change...

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 08-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Big, old rams love the timber and the steep ugly spots where most folks fail to look.