Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Re: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Quote Originally Posted by stoneslinger View Post
    Road up the Toad

Take your ATV up the old mine road. Hunt any and all drainages along the way
    I was having a burger at Toad River two years ago before my sheep hunt and these two guys walk in - we get to BS'ing and they say you want to see the sheep we just shot. Well I walk out to there truck and they have two 40" + rams sitting there, needless to say I'm speechless. So I ask, whereabouts did you shoot these. Apparently they were quading this road, looked over the edge and spotted the two of them. I believe the story as they were both 50+, overweight and certainly weren't the backpacking type. Total fluke, yes, but goes to show you there are rams up there, and good ones.

Sheep hunting involves patience, good fortune and lot of eye work. Some of my most productive hunts occurred when I was being lazy, not moving for days, and napping at cozy vantage points. I have never been one to walk for miles and miles and I normally like to remain well hidden and always looking.

Hunt were the outfitters hunt and you will be successful

this is great!!!
    Midnight toker

The headwaters of the prophet were always good to me. And you can always drop down into the akie or muska.

Guy could always hit up one of Drinkall's daughters. When having dinner at his house, go steal all his maps.
    I'm that guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine85 View Post
    Guy could always hit up one of Drinkall's daughters. When having dinner at his house, go steal all his maps.
    No need for that. I posted how to get to 3 different areas in his territory. For residents with ATV just head to the hairpin in the mine road and hunt down the creek towards Gataga River. Try around Dieppe Mountain or further south. Hunt the headwaters of the Toad. Or head past Moose Lake. Lots of walking and lots of sheep.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneslinger View Post
    Thanks srupp. I was hoping people like you and Carl (maybe even Bill), StoneSheepSteve, BCrams, Deaddog and others will add information.

Urs from Northern Rockies Lodge has been flying sheep hunters for a very long time. He is a wealth of information and provides a very good service - especially if you are not a cheapskate. There is also Jeff Browne from Steamboat Mountain Outfitters (good guy), Tetsa River Outfitters, and Riverjet Adventures. I believe High and Wild (formerly Big Nine) caters to residents in Gathto Creek area. Ask him to take you to Beckman Creek to stay at his cabin. Great rams and plentiful elk.
    Sorry I can't release info until Carl has his ram. Sounds like he will release all my spots next year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by willy442 View Post
    Sorry I can't release info until Carl has his ram. Sounds like he will release all my spots next year anyway.
    I welcome your input as I am certain other sheep hunters will. I hope that Devilbear does not emerge from the ashes and ruin this fine thread.

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    has anyone used steamboat mnt outfitters , i have a brochur coming looks interesting

We used Steamboat this August and had a great hunt. Saw lots of rams, but only one legal. Jeff's horses are great and he is a good guy. He can definately get you into decent country, plus you get to experience the romance of a horse packtrain
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever