Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Re: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Ash Mtn. some good sheep to be had and the side benifit of GREAT caribou in the same area..GREAT CARIBOU..

Anywhere from the plane crash site..literally..down into the valley with lake to land on... and then south to the dark ash volcanic rock (black ) most stone sheep shit I have ever seen and the Ash Mtn is covered in sheep trails..

Along the lake is a grizzly trail that had some humungous grizzly tracks..

the lake can be landed on with a beaver plane very safetly...from there several directions that ALL hold rams..

I looked up the location and it is 59.18.520 x 130. 34.164.......thats the place we flew into and camped...

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 08-23-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks srupp. I was hoping people like you and Carl (maybe even Bill), StoneSheepSteve, Bridger, BCrams, Deaddog and others will add information.

Urs from Northern Rockies Lodge has been flying sheep hunters for a very long time. He is a wealth of information and provides a very good service - especially if you are not a cheapskate. There is also Jeff Browne from Steamboat Mountain Outfitters (good guy), Tetsa River Outfitters, and Riverjet Adventures. I believe High and Wild (formerly Big Nine) caters to residents in Gathto Creek area. Ask him to take you to Beckman Creek to stay at his cabin. Great rams and plentiful elk.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-22-2010 at 09:48 PM.

The area between Toad River and Muncho Lake has many, many, many great sheep hunting spots off the highway. There are lots of "numbered" creeks. Take the one that goes up past Mount Socrates. Don't be shy about heading up any of the numbered creeks from the highway.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-25-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Churchhill Mine Road

Take a long walk into the Wokkpash, Upper Racing River and beyond. Do the loop and come out MacDonald Creek.

Road up the Toad

Take your ATV up the old mine road. Hunt any and all drainages along the way

Tetsa River Trail

This one is busy with the horse crowd. Try late season when they all go home. Bathtub Creek if you have the legs. Another good option is to fly into Tetsa Lake - pilot willing. If you have the legs this trail will lead you to some great ram hangouts. Henry Creek, upper Chischa river. Hunt in the direction of Stone Mountain Park from Tetsa Lake.

Summit Lake

Hike in on the trails and roads on the left towards Mount St. George. Good late season sheep hunting in the snow.

Nonda Creek Trail

Hunt the north side of the highway. Another good late season spot.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-22-2010 at 04:17 PM.

has anyone used steamboat mnt outfitters , i have a brochur coming looks interesting
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    has anyone used steamboat mnt outfitters , i have a brochur coming looks interesting
    Why hire a G/O Colin when you can do it yourself and feel satisfied you planned it all and were(with any luck) successful and also a hell of alot cheaper..
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

they just pack us in we do the rest
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

they just pack us in we do the rest
    Whatever, It was just the way we did it years ago and enjoyed it from start to finish..Shooting a Ram is bonus.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Jeff Browne is a very good man and has lots of knowledge of the area. I would not hesitate to use his service. His son was just a young lad when I met him but I am certain he is top knotch.

Tuchodi Lakes

This place can be busy but it has produced many, many very large rams over the years. walk up to Gataga Pass from the West Tuchodi Lake. From the top you can go down towards top end of Racing river or camp around the mighty Mount Campobasso. It is a long pull to the summit of the pass. Follow the horse trail. Hunt the drainages that rise up on the right or left. Lots of water for your drinking pleasure.

Upper Deaddog Creek

This area also has an outfitter trail and heads towards the Gathto. Lots of area to hunt and is known to be productive ram country. If you don't like main trails go make your own up any of the drainages or passes. Follow the horse trail. Save your legs for the steep stuff further in. No need to bushwhack. Horse trails are great to walk on - especially with a heavy pack.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-29-2010 at 10:02 PM.