Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Stone's sheep hunting locations

This thread has been started with a goal to provide resident sheep hunters information about areas to hunt for Stone's sheep. I will provide as much accurate information as my experiences will allow. I hope that others will contribute. It is also my hope that the thread will be kept free of useless comments and wasteful clutter. Cheers to all resident Stone's sheep hunters.

This thread provides my motivation:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54252

I will limit my comments to Stone's sheep hunting spots. Will be saving the info on Bighorns and the Dall's for another time.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-22-2010 at 09:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stone's sheep hunting locations

Racing River

Access from the Alaska highway. Can walk, horse or use ATV (may be able to use boat but I would not bother as there is an ATV trail). Tentsi creek would be a good spot for a late September/early October ram.

next to a nice fishing hole on the Horsefly

starting to plan my first stone hunt for next year, look forward to this thread as it developes

Macdonald Creek

Very popular spot to hike for Stone's ram. Also very, very productive. This has been a long time favorite place of many, many hunters. Watch out for high water crossings during periods of heavy rain.

great thread , but how many hunters will help out with this one lots i hope lol .good on you stoneslinger.
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Kechika/Gataga River

Riverboat access. Gataga mountain holds every type of game animal. It is huge and very productive. Spend the time to look carefully for sheep on the front side. Horse trails lead into the back country and are visible from Kechika river.

Denetiah Lake fly-in. Bring a rubber raft or canoe if Urs will allow.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-29-2010 at 10:00 PM.

This could be a great thread! The toughest part of planning a new hunt is trying to decide where to go. good on yah!

Turnagain River

Riverboat access. Can also be safely done with an outboard propellor engine mounted to a small boat or raft.
    Sandpile Creek on right above old Turnagain River Outfitters. Major Hart river on right. Head up to the left from the 1st spike camp (the one with the old snowmobile and cabins). There is a trail that heads into some fantastic sheep hunting knobs. Lots of timber and trail may be grown in by now unless it has been used by the outfitter.
    There is good sheep hunting on the left side of valley beyond the old snowmobile heading up. Also try Nista Creek.

Moodie Lakes

Great fly in spot. Lots of good sheep country. It is a base for the GO. Do not be shy and do not for a second think that the rams are "all sewn up". This is and always has been a spot to get nice rams with very nice dark hides.
    Last edited by stoneslinger; 08-22-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pearljam View Post
    This could be a great thread! The toughest part of planning a new hunt is trying to decide where to go. good on yah!
    Just remember to take any advice given by a sheep hunter on an internet forum with a BLOCK of salt !

After all, sheep hunters enjoy nothing more than hiking for days to share a drainage with a bunch of complete strangers
    As long as there's carbon in the air, there's hope!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser View Post
    Just remember to take any advice given by a sheep hunter on an internet forum with a BLOCK of salt !

After all, sheep hunters enjoy nothing more than hiking for days to share a drainage with a bunch of complete strangers
    Are you trying to tell me that that ridge east of Chilliwack that you told me about doesn't have any sheep on it?
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.