Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't wanna go broke!!!!

Don't wanna go broke!!!!

My boyfriend, (dewey) is buying me a new rifle, and he says that I'm in charge of buying the scope, so I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or their imput on one they've used and liked, the info would be muchly appreciated, Thanks!!!!
    "Never do anything and you'll never make any mistakes." Try!!! and you'll succeed!!!!

2. Site Sponsor

The Leupold Vari X1 series. Value priced, very very bright. I love mine.

Stands up the the recoil of my .450 and has a lifetime warrenty. Can't ask for much more. picked up my 2-7x33mm from wholesale sports for about $330.

bone-collector Guest
    well what caliber of rifle and make are you getting , is it going to be a booter ? , bushnell seems to stand up to anything up to a 300 and the price is right , even a elite 3200 is a good buy for the buck , what do you plan on hunting and were? open fields with 250-300 yard shots or cutblacks with average of 200 yard shots ? for farther distances you may want to look at a 4-12 power scope over a 3-9 power , maybe even something like a bushnell firefly recticle if you plan on hunting early and late ... so many factors , if you could be a bit more specific on what gun and caliber as well as what you want it to do for you it would be easier to suggest a better scope or narrow down a few

Rob

thanks

hey thanks amphibious, I'll keep that in mind when I'm out looking at scopes
    "Never do anything and you'll never make any mistakes." Try!!! and you'll succeed!!!!

thanks

The gun I'm getting is a Ruger M77 MarkII Compact, in a 260, And I'm not an advanced shooter by any means, so 300 yards could be pushing things, I'm a good shot with the 22 at 200 yards, but this is totally different than a 22?Right?

dont u mean ur a good shot with the .22 at 100 yards...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

With that little compact rifle a 2-7x33mm would suit it quite nicely and balence well.

bone-collector Guest
    a 33 mm obj is fairly small on a rifle with huge potential , I would personaly go no smaller than a 40mm obj and preferably a 44 or 50mm obj for light , and for a 260 a elite 3200 or even a bushnell banner would do just fine and price is fairly cheap for both

Amphibious is bang on with that one. Undoubtedly a 2-7x33 VXI or VXII would be my choice. I had a new 2.5-8x36 VXIII that I sold after comparing it to a 2-7x33 VXII. I saw no difference in FOV. It now sits atop my 7-08AI mtn rifle and is awesome. Groups are still easy to shoot off the bench (0.25" if I do my part) and it is still easy to hit milk jugs out to 460yds (haven't tried any further with this rig yet). That scope is the best bang for your buck, giving great eye relief, clear optics, reliablility, in the lightest package available. A 40mm or larger objective will throw the look and balance out on that compact litte rifle (I am a compact rifle junkie, keep the optics trim!!!!!). I've had no issues with light gathering either at last light. Great rifle, great cartridge, and great to see women enjoying the sport. Good luck.

StoneChaser

bone-collector Guest
    well going broke was the topic regardless a leupold 2-7x33 VX II is $479.95 at wholesale sports

2-7x32 in a elite 3200 is $319.95

and for just a plain old hunting scope a banner 4-12x40 $134.99