Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Dog Training

Re: Gun Dog Training

I'm in Vancouver with a 4 month old GWP. Would love to get some dogs together. Is there a 'preserve' around where we could buy some birds and get the pups interested and started?

I am not too sure to be honest. Mine has taken well to placeboard training. I am not too sure even when to start actual hunting training with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I'm in Vancouver with a 4 month old GWP. Would love to get some dogs together. Is there a 'preserve' around where we could buy some birds and get the pups interested and started?
    Start with wings, then attached them to the paint rollers and add weight, then move to frozen birds and finally take him out for a hunt. I trained my dog in this sequence and it seems to work well.

Live birds and more live birds!! Look up "woah post" online as well if you are using a pointing dog.

There are some clubs around in BC
    Vancouver Island Pointing Dog Club and
    BC All Breed Pointer Club (www.facebook.com/BCAllbreedpointerclub)

During their trials and hunt tests they usually have training days as well. There are a lot of people to get to know in those clubs and is nice for training.

If you have not trained a hunting dog before I would recommend using a pro trainer in the beginning. Unfortunately most of the best pro trainers are in Washington state. Do your homework and call them up to describe the type of training you would want for your dog. The trainer should be able to tell you what he can provide to you along with some rates. Clubs can be good but if you get some bad advice that can cause bad problems which can be hard to break in the future. My two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
    If you have not trained a hunting dog before I would recommend using a pro trainer in the beginning. Unfortunately most of the best pro trainers are in Washington state. Do your homework and call them up to describe the type of training you would want for your dog. The trainer should be able to tell you what he can provide to you along with some rates. Clubs can be good but if you get some bad advice that can cause bad problems which can be hard to break in the future. My two cents worth.
    I do not concur with this get a good Video(Gundog Videos are usually great) get advice and train with more experienced trainers if possible, but no pro can replace the bond you get by training your own pup, just ask Yamadirt 426 or BC Deer Hunter.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I want to do this myself. Even if I screw up some stuff - that's fine. My dog - my mistakes. What fun would it be to send her off and have her come back trained? I may want some help in 6-12 months if she's not retrieving properly. Not sure if I know how to force fetch train properly.

I've learned a lot from a couple of books. I'm pretty experienced with dogs in general so that certainly helped. And, I hunted thru some books to find ones that kind of fit my philosophy.

Anyone know of a good empty field we could use? I want to put out some birds and let the dog find proper birds - not just chase crows around.

I do have a note out to a trainer to see if he is interested in working WITH me. And, thanks to Bird Girl I'm also reaching out to the two clubs she mentioned.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I do not concur with this get a good Video(Gundog Videos are usually great) get advice and train with more experienced trainers if possible, but no pro can replace the bond you get by training your own pup, just ask Yamadirt 426 or BC Deer Hunter.
    Foxton,absolutely hit this on the head. I ended up with a Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Prize 1 dog by putting in much effort to surround myself with good people,articles,and,videos. Want to make your dog listen to your commands?? Allow him to want to, bond is everything.................................
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

And this is why in BC there are so few pro trainers around for hunting dogs because it seems to have such a negative connotation. Many people do not have access to 20 to 40 acres to run their dog on for training. Then there is the issue of keeping and retaining birds for training such as pigeons or chukars - some people are not able to because of where they live. Books and videos can serve as good reference tools, but a good pro trainer will work with you, to also let you know what you are doing wrong with the dog. Especially when you work with it in the field. It may take some time to find the trainer for you, but I have used a pro in the past and it really cuts down the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
    And this is why in BC there are so few pro trainers around for hunting dogs because it seems to have such a negative connotation. Many people do not have access to 20 to 40 acres to run their dog on for training. Then there is the issue of keeping and retaining birds for training such as pigeons or chukars - some people are not able to because of where they live. Books and videos can serve as good reference tools, but a good pro trainer will work with you, to also let you know what you are doing wrong with the dog. Especially when you work with it in the field. It may take some time to find the trainer for you, but I have used a pro in the past and it really cuts down the learning curve.
    Surrounding yourself with good people in the know, as I said, and this doesn't necessarily mean money spent for professionals. Professionals always have there place but there are many passionate good dog people that will willingly and graciously help the novice through glitches, this forum is a prime example of this. There are many authors to help you get from A to Z and its your job to understand your dog training instincts or lack there of and also your dogs abilities and pick and choose the correct avenue or author for the both of you. Again, the acreage is there, find it, the water is there, find it, the birds are there, find them. This all comes down to the degree of "how bad do you want this" and how bad do you want to gut this out and be able to say , I did it. The one on one time spent on bonding is an immeasurable experience which adds immensely to training. Good solid training is done with small, possibly time consuming steps and concentrated methodical time spent. Short learning curves?? Don't need or want it. I want training embedded properly and will take whatever time, short or long, it takes to do it properly.......................................... ..
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)