Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Dog Training

Gun Dog Training

Hey Guys, I just got my first hunting dog (Deutsch Kurzhaar) a couple months ago now and I'm getting into the training with birds. I haven't found any clubs in the lower mainland for versatile gun dogs. Are there any out there?

I've had the pleasure with meetting with a couple members from HBC who have given me valuable information and tips on how to do things. I've read a lot of books on training and have seen a couple dogs in action, but it's a whole different experience when you get your own dog on a bird.

I've talked to a lot of dog people around town and there doesn't seem to be much interest in hunting dog training. Just like hunting, the antis are out there too.
    I think it'd be great if we could get a small group of members to meet regularily and do some training together and share tips/ experiences with eachother. I know that each breed is different, but it's always helpfull to see how other dog owners handle their dogs.

Cheers,
    AL

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gun Dog Training

I'd be interested - we pick up a one year old Toller in a week or so and I want him to join me on Grouse hunts.
    I think that one of the problems that a lot of dog "groups" have with hunting training is the use of live birds for training purposes.

Dutchie and I have talked about this a lot over the last while and its tough without much DK or DD owners in the area. Jeff MArtin in Penticton is the closest trainer I can think of, unless you are traveling South of the board.

There is a pointing club that holds regular weekend events. I've attended one and they had live birds and scheduled training. Seemed like a pretty good club.

NAVHDA has a chapter in Seattle and one in Edmonton. I posted on this board a couple years ago asking if anyone would be interersted in starting a BC chapter and had no replies.

Maybe there are enough members with versatiles interested in starting a chapter now? The people at NAVHDA said it was pretty easy to get going if we had the membership.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Smile Re: Gun Dog Training

I am always available to conduct gun dog training classes, either in the North Okanagan or any location where there is enough interest...

Hey Al I am down... there are a few others that I have talked to and I have a 50acer feild with water that we can train at. (not to mention shoot and hunt ducks and geese)

I am really busy but if we can schedule something I will be in like Flynn!

Dutchie

just had my dog trained by Linda at someday retrievers and would be interested in working him on some birds.i almost think she swapped this dog he is a delight to have around .

Not a bad idea to get a NAVHDA chapter started around here. It's worth looking into. All we need is a few people interested here to get the ball rolling. The association will probably provide us with a lot of support.

bopper, I'm going to send you a PM for more info.

Hunting season is just around the corner so it will be tough to get people together soon. Is there interest in getting together in early September? Either on an evening or weekend.

The NAVHDA club is a good idea, I did my puppy test down in idaho at my friends club. I would be interested in getting together for some field work. Send my a PM and let try and work something out.

I'd love to see a NAVHDA chapter up here. I was a member for a while but never managed to get to the states to test my dog.
    There is the BC All Pointing Breed club around here that does CKC testing. I've been to a few of there events to watch and place birds but they don't really do any training just trials.

If a group decides to get together in the LML I'd bring my mutt down to try and learn a few things