Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mcdonald creek

Mcdonald creek

I read all the comments about Wokkpash Mcdonald trail and finally decided to take this trail. Just came back from a 4 day hiking trip along Mcdonald drainage. I met 4 other hunters in the area and a very recent horse sh..t on the trail.
    This is for those who think Mcdonald creek trail is a good spot for sheep hunt.

Don't think so

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mcdonald creek

Do not jump to conclusion too quick young snapper!

Many a fine men have yarded HUGE rams from them hills!
    There is only 1 place - on the top of the mountain!

It's a easy trail to hike so it gets used quite a bit.

as they say "get off the beaten path"

You only seen 4??? shit , its slow in there...try guideing a paying dude in there with 13 other guys!!!!!!..( still got one though)

A 4 day sheep hunt is not a very long time. Need to get off the regular trails and spend a lot of time glassing and putting on some miles. The area gets hit hard but also produces some rams every year.

So let me get this straight. You parked on the highway, walked down a designated hiking trail and you bumped into other people?

No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Coming_out_heavy. View Post
    So let me get this straight. You parked on the highway, walked down a designated hiking trail and you bumped into other people?

No way.
    LMAO. I think Sheep newbie wants to edit his post. Though one good thing about lots of other "guys" is they normally push the game to you
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

If it makes you feel any better, I got a short story for you from last years opening day.

July 31 we found the ram we wanted. We knew where we had to be to catch him feeding in the morning, so we got up at 4am and got into position. We belly crawl the last 200 yards and get the bipods out, range everything, and the shot is going to be 300 yards to where we expect the ram to eat breakfast. Ok we crawled 20 yards but it seemed longer. Anyway, 7am rolls around, a few sheep are feeding in front of us but the ram doesnt want to come down. Soon we realize why. 2 hunters from the koots stroll on up to us, skylined and all.

So here we are, opening day, having a nice chat with some more residents about how shitty this is for both parties. They ask us if we have seen any legal rams, we say no, they look at my rifle aimed toward a grassy patch and chuckle. In the end they took off in a direction we all agreed was going to allow both parties to avoid each other somewhat.

This was 17 km of BUSHwacking off of the highway. And that is 17 google earth kms, so who knows how far it was by the time we zigged and zagged and pissed and moaned our way in there. Those other fellas, they did the same thing from another valley, they walked around the same distance as far as I could tell.

August 2 we got that ram.

You are going to run into hunters, or outfitters, EVERYwhere you hunt. Doesn't mean you wont get a ram though.

This year we thought we were early, heading into the mountains on July 30. We ended up following 3 sets of boot prints into the area we wanted to hunt. Not an awesome feeling as you are heading in. The plan was made though, and we had to go where we said we would be. On we go. We find an outfitter camp. Oh great. Its pretty wrecked, and no one is around, clearly hadnt been used since last year. We decide that due to the bad american economy, the outfitter isnt going to use this camp this year. Theres no way they wouldnt be there already, we think. The place had been torn up by bears, birdnests everywhere, birdshit everywhere (on the bunks etc, cookshack table ) rat shit, mouse shit, the place was a mess. Theres no way they wouldnt have someone here getting this place back in shape to use for the hunting season. Oh wait, whats that noise, a bell, 15 horse pack string, guide, 2 hunters, cook, wrangler. Awesome! So now we have 3 residents we followed in, a guide, who is NOT impressed that we are in his valley, and here we are. This was not the plan. Oh did I mention this is also a 9 mile walk from where we started to walk from? So now what?

We head further in, and one of my partners shoots a book ram.

I am sure that most sheep hunters have stories like these. Well, minus the book ram part . We got lucky.
    Last edited by Coming_out_heavy.; 08-15-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Saw a legal ram right near the Mcdonald Creek trailhead on July 29th this year...and he continued on up the valley to where he could be hunted!

4 other guys is not very many...on opening day of our hunt we saw 4 other camps making up 7 other guys...2 of these camps got rams early within the first few days of opener.