Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing a gun

Re: Need help choosing a gun

Remington 870 wingmaster pump its a god send very durable and almost never jams. I have its in a wood stock a very sexy looking shotgun

I have had many diferent shotguns and always seem to go back to the 870 Wingmaster. Maybe one day I will smarten up and just stay with my Wingmaster.

Benelli SuperNova for me. BPS is a good choice too since its ambidextrous, eject shells below for easy clean up. Good luck and good hunting!
    Do Good ...and forget about it..

I tried my buddies super black eagal and really nice gun.He makes fun of me because he thinks his gun is better.But I am the one laughing at the end of the day when I can cycle faster, and knock more birds down with my remmy 870 wing pump.yeah it may be 30 year old, but will never trade it

If you are getting a pump, then there is really no reason to look outside of an 870. I used one of them for many many years and its still by backup gun. I have never had an issue with it regardless of conditions or shell types and it becomes so comfortable that as someone mentioned, you can cycle it as fast as some of the autos out there.
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited

I own an 870 express... bought it used and works great.. any 870 is best bang for your buck
    Last edited by shadow1982; 08-09-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    M.Dean
    Real hunters have no friends! Alls we want from you is where you seen the big buck last year! We don't care about your dog or what you do for a living or how you bake a bloody pie from scratch! Where did you see the buck, Buddy! We don't watch Oprah or shower at a 10 day hunting camp, we eat pork and beans with the knife we gut Deer with,we blow our nose with our fingers and the Regs are used for Toilet Paper! Friends, Ha, isn't that a TV show for Girlie Men???

Devilbear Guest

I have had a number of 870s, have an early '70s version in my smaller safe now and I have had a Mod. 97, MOd. 12 and have a Mod. 42, my real favourite.

I bought a Benelli Nova from Reliable five years ago and would not buy another pumpgun, these are just a superb design, but, they are as ugly as hell struck with a club. It takes up to 3.5" shells and you can use a recoil reducer if the "kicK" bothers you, I never notice recoil much so have not bothered.

They have interchangable barrels and I have a scope mount on mine and had a Leupy 2.5x HD, until I stole it for my .458WM. I am thinking a "Holosight" gizmo might be the best option.

The Super Nova is perhaps a better waterfowl gun and they often are available used for a decent price. I like mine better than any 870 I ever had/used, but, YMMV.

Well I suppose I should mention that I already have a 1980 model Wingmaster. The only problem is the barrel is down at about 19" and only chambered for 2 3/4 rounds (I'd really like at least 3"). I've got feelers out for a replacement barrel, but that might take a while, and really I like that gun so much I don't know if I want to bring it out in the field, despite the fact that it's nearly indestructible. Right now I'm leaning towards to Browning BPS for a bit of a change of pace but still have yet to decide.

Thanks for all the info so far!

-Andre

The remington 870 is like the ak-47 of the shotgun world
    U cud run it over soak in mudd and water and everything still works great!

If you are interested in a BPS, here is a link to another forum that I am a member on that might interest you. I know the guy selling it and he looks after things very well.

http://oldducker.proboards.com/index...ad=7318&page=1
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited