Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Hunting Gambier

Bow Hunting Gambier

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone could share some info about hunting on Gambier. I've read a few posts dating back to 2008, but couldn't see any recent postings. I did speak to the Municipal Clerk for Bowen who confirmed that hunting was only permitted on the Island after receiving three separate permits, and from her recollection, had never been given (nice).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow Hunting Gambier

If you look in the regs it will tell you all you need to know......and don't go by what some Municipal Clerk on Bowen (anti-hunters for the most part) says.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...opsis_1012.pdf

I would call the Squamish CO's office to get it from the horse's mouth. I have spent a fair bit of time on Gambier and there is quite a bit of private land but if you get away from the water up towards the middle of the Island there is more crown land if I recall correctly. I haven't read up for a few years on parks etc on the Island so things may have changed. Especially with the developments happening on the Northeast side in Brigade Bay and Douglas Bay.

One thing to remember is if you don't have your own boat.....you'll be taking the foot ferry across, which may or may not be the best way to be transporting some game home.

If you send me your email I will email you a map I have of gambier. I dont know the date of the map but it is a topo map with all the private land parcels marked on it. there is lots of public land to hunt on gambier

Thanks CNewbie...I've PM'd you with address.

Anyone else with some insight to Gambier?

Hey MB,

Have you hunted on Bowen (or anyone else for that matter) as I mentioned it seemed covered in "red tape" and as you know... regs or no regs... local office (with the support of the RCMP reign supreme). Ahhhhh only if we didn't live in a police state where the police didn't get away with (literally) murder. Soon we'll be able to sing the "star spangled" banner in both languages

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingblanks View Post
    Hey MB,

Have you hunted on Bowen (or anyone else for that matter) as I mentioned it seemed covered in "red tape" and as you know... regs or no regs... local office (with the support of the RCMP reign supreme). Ahhhhh only if we didn't live in a police state where the police didn't get away with (literally) murder. Soon we'll be able to sing the "star spangled" banner in both languages
    Nope.....never have and for me it wouldn't be worth the hassle. If you are going to hunt in Howe Sound and don't have a boat. Talk to the water taxi guys and see how friendly they are. You can get dropped off on Gambier OR Anvil () and hunt to your heart's content. There is a scheduled stop in West Bay on Gambier if I recall correctly....if you were going to go to Anvil then I think it would be more of a charter. There are plenty of deer on both islands....I picked up a nice set of matched sheds (for an inbred island deer ) two years ago. There are "nice" bucks and a decent number on both islands. I have seen many over the years.....but they ARE coastal blacktails and can be very elusive.

If I were you I would pack a tent and plan to camp on either Island (don't waste your time on Bowen) and arrange a pick up by the water taxi if they are "hunter friendly"....and having met them on the odd occasion I just think they might be okay with it.

CSG can you also send me that map?

thanks in advanced

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    If you send me your email I will email you a map I have of gambier. I dont know the date of the map but it is a topo map with all the private land parcels marked on it. there is lots of public land to hunt on gambier
    bemonty@telus.net can u send me the map please

6 yrs and a lot can change, there may be an updated map available.

Is it too late to get a copy of that map ?