Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duck punt designs

duck punt designs

Well I have the month off and wanted to build a new duck punt for the fall, and was hoping for a point in the right direction. has anyone built one? do you still have any plans? I am looking for a two person punt with a motor mount on the back. let me know if you've got the plans for a good two man punt or if you know of an old one that could be sold and just needs to be reglassed.
    thanks for your help guys.

John.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

2. Site Sponsor

Re: duck punt designs

870 if you are interested I have a friend on the Island who has a couple of Bicknell style punts to give away.He hasn't used them for years(we used to hunt the foreshore together),so they may require a bit of work but you just can't buy punts like that anymore.Let me know if you are interested. Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Bow Walker Guest

I used to have a few links to some duck punt plans on the internet but when I upgraded my hard drive I lost them.

I've been looking for a punt for a while now - one of those 8 or 9 ft rowboats that's just perfect for me, my wife, and our two small dogs. Want it for fishing on smaller lakes.

I used to have one - years ago - that could take all the necessary gear for two hunters, plus lunch for our dawn-to-dusk duck hunts. We hunted from Nanaimo up to Bowser. Great times.

Just can't seem to find those small plywood rowboats anywhere.

Zack Taylor's book - Successful Waterfowling, Crown Publishing, 1974 has a number of plywood duck boat designs - gunning scull, johnboat, sneakbox, etc.

I've got the full set of plans and patterns to a merrymeeting bay duck boat. Ordered them over the internet a year or so ago. But then bought a momarsh fatboy so no needs for one. Its a smaller two man boat with motor mount.

PM me if interested.

http://sandypointboatworks.com/merrymeeting.html
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 08-04-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Why not take your tape measure down to the shack and draw up your own plans? You'll be hard pressed to find a better concept of design although there are lots of boats around where the details differ, some better, some not as good. You could probably look at another punt I know of with the same design (and from which mine is a knock-off) that are made from wood/fiberglass to help with the construction details. Let me know if you need help.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I might take a look at one of Fowl's punts and use that as a starting point. how much do those aluminum punts cost? is there any way to bring the cost down? has anyone had one made locally? or has one for sale? I've used bobs aluminum punts and I like those the most. plus I like the idea of aluminum because I am very hard on my gear and would like a punt that will last forever. maybe in a few years.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

Bow Walker Guest

Bow Walker Guest

Hey 870...

Any luck building your punt? It's been just about a year now, got any pics?

I built a 1 sheet ( or close to it) jon boat . I modified the freeboard ( added 1 extra foot ) to allow for more weight of gear and 2 guys. I also omitted the front seat so there is pleanty of room up front for decays , and gear. I found the plans online. ( free) do a search for jon baot or 1 sheet boat something like that.