Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Number of site pins?

Re: Number of site pins?

Thanks for all the info.

I will be strictly hunting and I have a limit of 30 yards max.. I do not have time to travel to 3D shoots. I am looking at a two or three pin sight right now, but after shooting about 100 arrows yesterday, I am starting to get used to the 5 pins. Will just have to keep practising, as that is all the fun anyways. Has anyone ever used the Cobra - King Cobra 1 or 3 pin sight?

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Bow Walker Guest

Spot Hogg Real deal 5-pin for myself. I've tried the Trophy Ridge, the Copper John and a very early cheap sight that I forget the name of. The simplest and easiest to set up and sight-in was and is the Spot Hogg. Plus it is as tough as nails. Not the Nails on this site, but real metal ones.

Good luck to you this season.............
    Dan.

and don't give up on 3D just yet. It is a ball!

I use Cobra, several different styles in the past, and I am very pleased with them. Until about two weeks ago I used the very old steel pins and now changed to a tree pin with fiber optics, but use only two of the tree pins. I hate not seeing the full deer in the clutter of the pins.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I use a cobra 3 pin sight set at 20-30-40 yds.

rrfred Guest

when i bowhunted; my compound bow had one pin set at 32 yds; and my recurve had no sights.

The 'Hummer' Guest

I'm presently using a Hoyt Micro Elite with five pins, 20 - 60yds.

I use the Torphy Ridge. 5 pins that are verticle. Lots of room to see the target. Have not hunted with it yet, hopefully this spring for bear. Others later this season. But done lots of 3d targets and really love the sight now. I did shot a Cobra adjustable. Very nice, but the paper to mark the yardage almost came off once and could of ended my shoot very quickly. Thats when I went back to fixed pins...and never looked back. My yardage is set 20 - 60 yards.
    Good luck and happy shooting!!

3d

well after shooting my first 3D i think i'll be adding a fourth pin @ 50 yds.

adam moleski Guest

hello I have done alot of bow hunting and the answer to your question depends on how far you shoot. I shoot alot and shoot up to sixty yards and have taken a moose and a goat at this distance and retrieved them right away. most of the animals I have shot have been under 40 yard though. Last archery season my friend and I were in hudson hope and we were waiting for a group of bucks to come close enough. he liked the idea of a single pin and I really dont. finally three bucks came within 12 yards and he drew back and missed it because in all the excitement his pin was set at 30 yards. I would really recomend using pins from 20-60 yards at in 10 yard incriments. have them colour coded and get used to it. if you only want to shoot close then one of two pins is fine but I have shot alot of animals at around 40 yards and I would reccomend practising at far distances. but lets face it you have to be accurate and having a pin for different yards is much more ethical when buck fever gets you going!
    just my thoughts though

I have 4 pins on my bow 20 30 40 50 my bow shoots 315fps with carbon arrows 50 yards would have to be my max i would use for shooting some say 30 is the max but it depends on how long you have been shooting and how good you are at judging your distances while hunting 3 or 4 pins is plenty you have to remember and most bowhunters will agree with me that you only get one shot with a bow so you have to go with what feels best for you and the best way to judge your pins for me is too shoot gofers with your bow and a judo point that is the same grain as your broadheads then after a while you get used to judging distances and shooting better remember a gofer is a small target and if you miss that gofer by 2 to 3 inches either way then when you shoot at that big animal you are hunting there's a good chance it will be the killing shot