Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Number of site pins?

PGKris Guest

Re: Number of site pins?

Quote Originally Posted by adam moleski
    hello I have done alot of bow hunting and the answer to your question depends on how far you shoot. I shoot alot and shoot up to sixty yards and have taken a moose and a goat at this distance and retrieved them right away. most of the animals I have shot have been under 40 yard though. Last archery season my friend and I were in hudson hope and we were waiting for a group of bucks to come close enough. he liked the idea of a single pin and I really dont. finally three bucks came within 12 yards and he drew back and missed it because in all the excitement his pin was set at 30 yards. I would really recomend using pins from 20-60 yards at in 10 yard incriments. have them colour coded and get used to it. if you only want to shoot close then one of two pins is fine but I have shot alot of animals at around 40 yards and I would reccomend practising at far distances. but lets face it you have to be accurate and having a pin for different yards is much more ethical when buck fever gets you going!
    just my thoughts though
    What he said.
    I use 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 metre pins. I would only take a 50 metre shot on a moose. What it comes down to, like Adam said, is that you have to practice and be confident in your shooting. I've been doing this since I was 7 and I basically know what I can and can't do.
    Kris

Re: Number of site pins?

I have 5 pins, set from 20 yards on...not confident enough in my abilities, or the weight of my bow to do a 50 or 60 yard shot on a critter though. Target shooting is fine. It takes a lot of practice, I know I'll have to be doing a lot more of as soon as things settle down a bit more. I got my first bow when I was 5 or so, it's just a matter of fine-tuning. I think 5 is the standard # of pins, wish they could be all different colors though, I can definately see what you mean having a second or so delay on which pin to use.